1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[Metagame] Suspect Discussion: Pidgeotite

Discussion in 'Gen 7 UU' started by Xdevo, May 29, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Discuss the possibility of Mega Pidgeot being banned from the SM UU tier.
    Use this thread to discuss Mega Pidgeot's impact on the metagame. Talk about the different sets it is capable of using, and potential checks/counters. State your opinion on the suspect and if it should or shouldn't be banned from the metagame. Having no firm stance on the matter is fine too.

All opinions are valid and discussion among players is not only allowed but encouraged, provided your opinion has solid reasoning and displays having playing with or against the suspect in the tier. Do not simply state "it's broken" or "it's not broken".

Users that are unsure about suspect posting are encouraged to check this guide out.

2. Valhalla

Valhalla Banned

theres not very many counters to it in this tier, coupled with a strong stab that has 0 drawbacks. Boosting moves such a workup also allow it to be a potent sweeper. It also has a great speed tier of 121 while having access to u-turn allows it to switch out of blissey (one of its only counters). It has trouble with weavile (as does torn-t) but i still think it deserves a suspect as weavile is priority weak, and easily worn down by hazards.

3. JayThaMessiah

JayThaMessiah New Member

Mega-Pidgeot (Mega-BirdJesus) another mon I feel no certain way about in the meta. Is it broken? Sure, No Guard+Hurricane can essentially do that to a mon especially one with amazing speed and SpAtk to back it up so not only do you have to deal with a powerful stab that's only drawback to begin with was it's poor accuracy but now it hits no matter what due to Mega-Pidg ability, but confusion can play alot of chance and allowing it to set up depending on your luck, so even a mon that's an answer will fall to it. Outside of that it faces the same thing as Tornadus-T in checks and counters although it doesn't have a physical move like Superpower to deal with mons like Blissey or Empoleon, but it can just U-Turn out just like any other fast mon in this tier (what a surprise guess Beedrill should go next) but that allow SR to go up and it cannot switch in out with SR up (which aren't hard to remove but if you lose your spinner/fogger it's gets worn down fast). With Roost it can stay healthy if need be but only if it's in on a mon that Pidgeot doesn't have to worry about. I mean it's a one trick pony but it does that trick good enough to be a problem, unlike other suspects so far I'm just on the fence at the moment as I haven't really dealt with enough or had a good/bad enough experience with it.

4. E.T.

E.T. Proud Member Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    Mega Pidgeot has access to the unique combination of No Guard and STAB Hurricane, which, when combined with its base 121 Speed and base 135 Special Attack, can make it quite annoying to deal with. Mega Pidgeot can function as a stallbreaker with Work Up, Refresh, and Roost, or it can be an offensive threat with Heat Wave to cover incoming Steel-types and U-turn to gain momentum. Mega Pidgeot also has the potential to get past some of its switch-ins by spamming Hurricane until it confuses them, since No Guard ensures that it will never miss, and each Hurricane has a 30% chance to cause confusion.

Mega Aerodactyl is a solid switch-in, but if it gets confused on the switch-in it will lose to the next Hurricane after Stealth Rock damage. Raikou is another great switch-in, but it lacks reliable recovery. Blissey can stop the all out attacking sets, but it loses to the Work Up + Roost + Refresh set.

Mega Pidgeot's 100% accurate STAB Hurricane and high Speed tier make it formidable, but the 30% confusion chance that each Hurricane has is what pushes Mega Pidgeot over the edge imo and can make it uncompetitive. I'm in favor of banning Pidgeotite from SM UU.

JayThaMessiah likes this.
  5. JayThaMessiah

JayThaMessiah New Member

Okay, I've been gone for awhile (PS4 games came strong) and prior to my return I thought this ban would have made it's conclusion. Well, I've tried testing Mega-Pidgeot in random battles, and I had no chance of that since UU for the most part is dead most of the time and also Mega-Pidgeot isn't ran literally at all from what I've seen 21 battles (which alot in a slow tier like UU) haven't seen a Mega-Pidgeot. So I decided to get some people together and test it 7 people all running Mega-Pidgeot with a well rounded team behind it. And from what I've seen it's not a threat in the UU meta, the most common threat which I run on my regular teams and is seen quite frequently as well is Rotom-H (add Rotom-Wash since it just got added to UU tier again) can fit on any team and force it out no problem and tank a hurricane (even at +1) pain split allows me to keep myself fairly healthy, also if the player u-turn or switch out into something to absorb a electric move (ground) guess what? Burn!(Kelso voice) and if it's low enough to KO just Overheat/Hydro Pump. Mega-Aerodactyl/Manectric also can do this as well but you could argue that Manectric lacks recovery but it's not hard to fit a cleric in with Manectric, Aerodactyl sets up rocks or hone claws and becomes a threat to everything in the tier. Even spdef bulky mons which get plenty of use like Alola-Muk can deal with it fairly well even at +1 it'll take a hit before going down. I admit the 30% confusion plus with no chance to miss is indeed a problem but the fact is Mega-Pidgeot isn't as much of a threat it was last gen with all the diversity in UU now so I'm against the ban.

6. Xdevo

Xdevo Sp00pyScarySkeleton Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Pidgeotite remains in UU.

Mega Pidgeot does have a lot of powerful qualities, with the 100% accurate powerful Flying STAB, 30% Confusion chance, a bunch of options to make fat walls less of an issue (Sub, Roost, Refresh, U-turn), but isn't nearly as powerful as it was last generation. Firstly, Confusion isn't as bad as it was in ORAS, with the chance dropping from 15% to ~9%; secondly, there's a bunch of new flying resists - Metagross, Rotom-W, etc; and lastly, there's simply a lot more offensive pressure in UU, Pidgeot has a lot more trouble switching into play than it did last generation.

EvilDingoRobot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.