1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Tiering Suggestion

Discussion in 'Gen 7 UU' started by Valhalla, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Valhalla

Valhalla Banned

Not even sure if im allowed to post but I will anyways. This suggestion I am going to explain in a bit has been something that I have been a big proponent for, for quite some time. It is, Tiering UU based on viability. As I see it right now, the only reason PO adopted smogon tiering policy was because PO was a main sim for Smogon for sometime. This has not been the case for around 3 years now, and there really isn't a reason not to try and do something new, aside from precedence. To be more specific, I think using usage stats as an initial tier list for UU is a good idea, and from there, we could drop lesser but still OU pokemon into our tier as tiering directors/future tier leaders see fit. This could also be gone about from a community perspective as tiering is done for suspects right now.

For an example, I just dont think it makes sense to not tier rotom-wash in uu based on viability, it holds a small niche in ou, and was healthy for the UU metagame (providing checks to bird spam while not being a centralizing mon). Moreso, our playerbase is much smaller than pokemonshowdown's which can cause tier lists to be inflated by a select few due to the significantly smaller playerbase.

TDLR I think its worth divorcing ousellves from an arbitrary system of tiering, only based on tradition which is outdated to behind with. At least, a discussion about this would be interesting as I think this idea isnt too bad and im curious to see the opposition.

2. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Viability is still an arbitrary system; there is no objective definition of where something should or should not be in a viability ranking (see: every argument ever on a viability ranking list). So we'd just be changing one arbitrary system for another (which doesn't mean that it'd be better or worse).

You're wrong in your history of why we used usage stats. We used them because viability based tiers were the norm until mid-DPP and the DPP BL list was awful. Staples of NU like Tauros were found alongside Pokemon like Cresselia; the whole system was fucked. When PO went into BW (before Smogon could or did), we decided to keep usage based tiers because viability tiers were pretty much universally agreed to not work at the time. It had nothing to do with our being "smogon's sim", we had a separate server, with different tiers. It's not based on "tradition" but on experience.

We've had discussion on the subject before and there's never been a good coherent proposal on how to go about doing this and preventing it from becoming a circlejerk among a few users, and this "suggestion" hasn't really changed that.

fsk and Professor Oak like this.