1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts on E3?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by pokemonnerd, Jun 15, 2017.

1. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Title, go ahead and vent your thoughts on the week.
    Or ignore the thread if E3 isn't something you keep tabs on.

So I'm just going to let the degenerate fanboy in me run wild and say that Nintendo won E3. Feel free to disagree but they had a very strong showing doing classic Nintendo things ("lol hai guys we're making games for our IPs don't let the hype hit you too hard kbai!") and Odyssey looks like a very solid game with what we've seen so far. It also seems they're not letting gimmicks infiltrate their Yoshi and Kirby games too much, which is nice after Wooly World and whatever Kirby has been doing besides not just absorbing and mixing powers. I said it in the QOTD thread and I'll say it here, Nintendo's IPs are strong enough to have great sales if they take care in making them good games. Their E3 presentation really gave me good vibes going forward, and it's looking very likely that I'll actually buy the Switch.

Also I heard that Skyrim is being developed for the Microwave soon! Fallout is also coming to the Toaster. Very exciting!

EDIT:
    Mario and Rabbids, this is how I think the board room meeting went:
    "So we have these Rabbids things and Mario Party games are pretty popular"
    "Okay, so you're going to make a party game"
    "Yeah we can have every mini game be Rabbid themed in some way"
    "Okay I see where this will work but what about this: make it an Xcom game."
    "..."
    "..."
    "BRILLIANT!"

Last edited: Jun 16, 2017
    Joyverse likes this.
  2. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

Had the Nintendo products that actually excited people (Prime 4, Pokémon for Switch) actually been shown, instead of "yeah we're developing them eventually" I'd say Nintendo won. Unfortunately for them, the only really interesting game they actually showed was Mario Odyssey, something everyone already knew about and has to be good for the switch to not fail. I feel like the Gamecube very clearly showed us that Nintendo can't rely on first-party (or second-party for certain games) to sell a whole console, and the Switch is in a much worse place off the bat than the Gamecube was.

If you think VR is a good idea (eh), then I'd have to stay Sony and Bethesda are pulling out a lot of VR content which is pretty interesting at least. Both Sony's and Bethesda's were pretty dull overall for non-VR fans. I guess Wolfenstein 2 is looking good.

Ubisoft had a handful of good games shown, Far Cry 5, Ass Creed: Origins (looks different enough to be decent, but very well might not be), Beyond Good and Evil 2 (finally).

Microsoft continues to struggle along, and still doesn't understand how to release AAA games for the console.

EA is EA so no one really cares. I sincerely hope the new Star Wars Battlefront actually has enough features instead of a glorified multiplayer game.

Vampyr, Shadow of War, Shadow of the Colossus remaster, Hunt maybe were all somewhat interesting information releases, hopefully they follow through.