1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[POCL] POCL Manager Sign-Ups

Discussion in 'Official Tournaments' started by Mr. Perry, Jul 24, 2017.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: fsk, Mr. Perry
  1. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry wat Forum Moderator Tour Director Forum Moderator Tour Director

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    OP stolen from user Finchinator!!11!

Hello everyone - Pokemon Online Champions League (POCL) is coming up next month! This means we need managers for our teams.

Post here if you want to be a manager in the POCL. Bare in mind it's kind of an investment and dropping out mid-season would be quite bad and punishable. But that's what assmen are there for, which you can also sign up to be, however assistant managers are picked by the managers themselves in the end and don't need to sign up to be in, but it lets people know you're up for it.

Anyone may sign up, but people with more experience or exposure will likely be getting priority. However, the overall quality of application and the user signing up is the main factor into who I decide will manage POCL.

To sign up, you have to tell us what your proposed team is. You may use a team from a previous year but past members of the roster in last year's tournament (especially managers) of teams will have priority on taking existing teams. New teams, if any should exist, will be assigned teams (probably at random) from the un-used ones last year to take retains from (we will decide if we will use retains on not after I talk with the chosen captains).

Position: Manager/Assman/Both
    Proposed Team: [Insert name here]
    Anything else?: [Put anything you would like to include that may bolster your application here]

Hopefully, we can get eight teams, but six will suffice if need be.

Please confront me with any questions, comments, or concerns. Thanks you and have a good one!

Eden's Embrace likes this.
  2. HSOWA

HSOWA SPHEAL OF APPROVAL Server Moderator Server Moderator

Position: Manager
    Proposed Team: Chelsea Chatots
    Anything else?: Managed in the first two POCLs, reaching the final in 2012, haven't had the chance to manage since :( I'm really active and I know the PO and Smogon playerbase really well :3

@Annoying Orange will be my assman

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Member

CALLOUS

Manager

Would prefer to start an entirely new team and build from the ground up, but would be willing to pick up a team from last year if it were strongly preferred by those in power. If I were to start a new team I propose the name Wild West Wobbuffets :)

Some of my credentials-

- Won this event as a player the last time I played it, going undefeated in all played matches.

-Former PO ADV OU Gym Leader with a 48-5 record.

-Former PO Academy ADV OU tutor.

-Within the past six months I was the manager of a team in a very similar team tour. I drafted what was near-universally considered to be the strongest team in the tournament and we eventually lost in the Finals Tiebreaker.

-I'm a known, established, veteran user who is very well connected within the community, very familiar with the player base and has a well documented history of putting in the time and effort needed in team tours to succeed. Reputable references you're welcome to ask about me include Finchinator, Astamatitos, Ugly Duckling, Beds, BKC or absolutely anyone from the team I mentioned in the previous point. Each week I had an information sheet prepared for all my players with their opponents recent replays and teams. I put HOURS each week into it.

-I'm a mature, non-attention-seeking guy in my late 20s and you won't have to worry about me creating drama or crap posting or anything like that. I'm simply a tryhard who has enjoyed Pokémon for two decades and is in it to win it and have some fun along the way!

Thank you sincerely for your time and consideration! :)

drud, Marcop9923, NightFox and 7 others like this.
  4. Genesis7

Genesis7 Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Genesis7
    Proposed Team: Arsenal Arcanines
    Anything else?: @Shaka Brah and I would like to manage the Arcanines again. We made the finals last year and I have won the most recent POWC as the Captain of Team Canada. I have also won the most recent RoAPL on Smogon as a manager and have helped to put together Team Canada's WCOP team for the past 2 years. I have experience as a player in both WCOP and SPL and know the playerbase of this game better than anyone currently.

5. Z+V

Z+V Active Member

Position: assman
    Proposed Team: any
    Anything else?: n

6. Lutra

Lutra All Gen Battler/Scripter

PO Trainer Name:
    Lutra
    Proposed Teams:
    • Paris Persian (Paras & Persian as mascots, Iranian/French assman?)
    • Southampton Seakings (fuck yeah seaking meme, and I am from Southampton and was on Sunderland Seakings)
    Anything else:
    • I want to team up with someone who follows player stats for lower tiers and won't put much pressure on players or myself.
    • I hope to win POCL as a manager, after already doing it as an assistant manager and player.
    • I was undefeated as part of PO's Elite 4 with an impressive 0-0 record.
    • My battling prowess in action:
    edit:

Final Name: Southampton Seakings
    Assman: Mr.378

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  7. Mr.378

Mr.378 The Iron Man of Ubers

Position: Assman
    Proposed Team: Paris Persian/Southampton Seakings whichever.
    Anything else?: I played and got drafted in this tour the past two years. Also have experience managing.

8. Draciel

Draciel Now Or Never

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
    Proposed Team: Milan Bisharps
    Anything else?: 3rd time's the charm
    Z+V will be my assman

9. PhilosopherKing

PhilosopherKing New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    PhilosopherKing
    Position: Assistant Manager
    Proposed Team: Callous' Team
    Anything Else: I am back, baby.

10. Dr. Fomantis Toboggan

Dr. Fomantis Toboggan man in the couch

Position: manager
    Proposed Team: Málaga Milotic or IFK Göteborg Gogoat
    Anything else?: I win like every time. Who can I see about changing my name to either Dr. Fomantis Toboggan or Ayatollah Dratini?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
    Joyverse, snaga, Mysterious M and 3 others like this.
  11. Annoying Orange

Annoying Orange sweet creature Server Moderator Social Media Rep Server Moderator Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Annoying Orange
    assman
    doin it for my man @Chatot rip
    got good

Last edited: Jul 27, 2017
    Joyverse, Jethalal and HSOWA like this.
  12. Shaka Brah

Shaka Brah New Member

Position: Assman
    Team: Arsenal Arcanines
    Anything Else?: Genesis7 said it all

13. z0mOG

z0mOG Member

position: manager
    team: Geneva Goodras
    credentials: Managed in oupl, roapl, played in both POCL and POWC from this site, as well as smogon's wcop and spl

assman: drud

edit: do we get retains if we pick up the torch from a previous team name? or even if I keep my new name can I get a teams retains?

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
    超夢夢, Joyverse, laxX and 8 others like this.
  14. drud

drud New Member

Position: Assistant Manager
    Proposed Team: z0m's team
    Anything Else: not really

Joyverse, Peli, tjdaas and 4 others like this.
  15. MushMunkey

MushMunkey New Member

Proposed Team: The Kingston Krookodiles
    Anything else?: Experienced tournament player that's topped ladder multiple times I'd love a chance to prove myself as a manager, I will bring my a-game and help all my players prepare so they can have the best possible chance to win.
    assman: mastersalsa

mastersalsa, ez and z0mOG like this.
  16. mastersalsa

mastersalsa New Member

position: the munkey's ass man
    proposed team: the kingston krokodils

z0mOG and MushMunkey like this.
  17. Zamrock

Zamrock - OUTL

PO Trainer Name:
    Zamrock
    Proposed Team: Solrock Rovers (bringing it back)
    Anything else?: Legendary Dave (Stone_Cold22) will assman for me

Draciel and z0mOG like this.
  18. Stone_Cold22

Stone_Cold22 Member

Assmanning baby

drud and z0mOG like this.
  19. Mr. Perry

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    Hello!

Some news:
    @fsk will co-host the tournament with me, and I will let this thread open until Friday (I will close sometime that day). Player signups should open maybe next Tuesday or Weds, just how fast me and the captains will be able to decide on retains and other problems.

Thank you tho those that joined already! :]

Joyverse, HSOWA, drud and 2 others like this.
  20. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

Can we make a poll where managers can vote for pos or ps' lower tiers in pocl?

21. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    this is a po tour and not a ps tour though....

Hurricane and Annoying Orange like this.
  22. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

Dont think its a real argument anymore. You can say its a po tour so play your matches on po. But we don't. Because no one wants it. And im pretty sure only a handful of players prefer LU over RU. No one is playing on po anymore and they never touched po lower tiers. Pretty sure some people would only join of we play Ps tiers

Hassin627 likes this.
  23. TraceofLife

TraceofLife Lucky Strike

PO Trainer Name:
    TraceofLife
    by this logic we might as well just stop pocl because its basically poor man's spl. I sure do prefer RU over LU but this is fucking PO and not PS. either use PO lower tiers or just nuke POCL completely.

24. Finchinator

Finchinator Addicted and just can't get enough Tier Leader Tier Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    As someone who has been a PO user and advocated this community and the tournaments that happen on it for 5+ years, I can say with complete and utmost certainty that the tournament would be better without PO Lower Tiers given their current state. I do not particularly care if they are replaced with Smogon Lower Tiers or if this is sort of like last SPL, without the UU/RU/NU due to it being early in the generation.

If you are seriously backing the addition of PO Lower Tiers to the tournament, then you are quite naive and ill-informed or you are simply not open minded whatsoever. PO Lower Tiers are based off of usage on the PO servers ladders and the amount of battles these ladders actually get is far too low to maintain any form of stability, balance, or actual competitive value that a metagame needs to properly be added to a tournament. You can check the raw statistics in terms of battle count and you can see how absolutely ridiculous the usage is simply to act as a testament to my point above if you would like, but I see no argument on any side with any degree of validity stating that adding these PO Lower Tiers to the tournament would increase the quality of the tournament.

The argument for giving POCL some sort of niche over SPL in adding PO Lower Tiers or simply making it different is completely ridiculous and this should be blatantly obvious to whoever makes it (looking at you, Trace). The playerbase and the general base of interested managers and followers is entirely different and it is held on a forum that reaches out to a totally different group of players. Most, if not all, comparisons are totally invalidated on this basis and this has held the for the entirety of ORAS when PS fully took over and PO dwindled in activity. If anything, this tournament is an inflated, slightly hyped farm league for a lot of players looking to prove themselves and simply a fun time for those who happen to be established and sign-up to play. Hardly anyone -- hell, there might not be one person outside of the very small, core PO playerbase that will be a fraction of the players actually picked -- actually prefers whatever PO Tiers currently are as the format. You, yourself, Trace, admitted that you prefer RU to LU, so your argument especially does not add up to me.

We have added PO Lower Tiers to this tour and made it much less competitive and interesting for two years more than we should have already -- let's not make it a third, let's make this tour more appealing, and let's make this tour more competitive. Smogon Lower Tiers are 100% the better pick and there is hardly any argument to devalue or change this statement seeing how PO Lower Tiers don't get enough battles or development to merit tournament inclusion.

Edna, Newalfonquest, sulcata and 7 others like this.
  25. snaga

snaga .

PO Trainer Name:
    snaga
    Go back to your cruise ship gayboy

#POtiers4Life

Kingler12345, Edna, JoyFrost and 10 others like this.
  26. Zamrock

Zamrock - OUTL

PO Trainer Name:
    Zamrock
    Dropping out sorry, I thought I would have the time but irl says no D:

27. Mazar

Mazar sayonara bastard

Proposed Team: Stuttgart Stoutlands
    Anything else?: won every tour as a manager in german forums; good player in every tier; handsome person; good at football

28. Mr. Perry

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
Moderators: fsk, Mr. Perry
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.