1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Player Interview: Eden's Embrace

Discussion in 'Articles' started by E.T., Aug 8, 2017.

Moderators: E.T.
  1. E.T.

E.T. K I N G Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader Super Moderator Server Administrator Articles Leader

PO Trainer Name:
    E.T.
    [​IMG]
    Hello, and welcome to another edition of Player Interview! This interview features @Eden's Embrace, the ADV OU Gym Leader for the PO League. As a reminder, there's not much time left in this Gym season, so be sure to challenge the Gyms while there's still time! Without further ado, let's get started with the interview.

1. How did you get introduced to Pokémon?

Eden's Embrace: I got introduced to Pokémon in 2000 or so. It's been 17 years now; my first game was Pokémon Crystal, but even before then, I was really into it. Loved collecting the cards, loved watching the show, and all those other nice things. The manga is also amazing and really, really action packed.

2. How did you get introduced to PO?

Eden's Embrace: I got introduced to PO 2 years back but only started using it once trace invited me to play on his team (Asia).

3. How long have you been playing ADV OU?

Eden's Embrace: I've dabbled in it for close to 1 and a half years, but only dedicated a lot of time from last June/July onwards. Strange to think that it is actually a full year's worth of play in 1 tier. Lots of people like CZ, Astamatitos, UD, CALLOUS have helped me, and it has been entertaining if nothing else.

4. What are some pros and cons of the ADV OU metagame compared to a more recent tier like SM OU?

Eden's Embrace: It is more stable; things don't change too much, so I don't find myself having to know what some Z-Move does, or learning what popular trends are there to observe in serious play. It is usually slower, but of course there are ADV teams that play very quickly. Some of the most relevant stuff worth noting are Toxic becoming extremely popular, the rise of Gengar last year, Hidden Power Grass becoming a bit of a staple on Gengar as well, Rest being used a bit more on Swampert, specially defensive Body Slam Wish Jirachi (now a set by fear, used by foggi in an RMT in which a physically defensive variant of the same and spreads Toxic is seen), Pursuit Tyranitar(Taunt + Toxic as well) becoming very popular, and specially defensive Zapdos (popularized by BKC and Cowboy Dan) being in vogue again.

5. What are your favorite and least favorite ADV OU Pokémon?

Eden's Embrace: My favorite ADV OU Pokémon is probably Aerodactyl, with Gengar in a close second. Amazing at abusing Spikes and keeping them and provide speed control and a source of immediate offense. Aerodactyl's ability to flinch itself out of a tight spot is also always appreciated.

My least favorite Pokémon is probably Claydol in OU play because I feel that it gets stretched too thin trying to do all of the roles that are assigned to it. And it probably is the only commonly seen Rock resist that Dragon Dance Tyranitar can feasibly set up on, which I find laughable. Of course having played a bit more, I realize now it has utility in the form of archetypes like Magneton + Claydol to keep hazards off the field permanently, using boom alongside Dugtrio to kill troublesome opponents in a pinch. Some other newer variants of Claydol like Refresh Claydol, or Hidden Power Fire (bit older?) are also useful on teams which need an easy way to sit on Skarmory / Forretress respectively. My favorite Pokémon aesthetically is probably Jirachi: it is really cute and very effective in ADV and draws on a very interesting concept in Wish tags, while my least favorite design is probably something like Slaking. I feel it's just not pleasing to look at. I do like what they tried to do with it....I guess.

6. What has being a Gym Leader for ADV OU been like so far? Have there been any memorable moments?

Eden's Embrace: It has been fun so far; I had some fun series. All my challengers gave me good, fun games and were quite polite. My favorite game was probably my second one vs Slurmz, where I fought a vinc cune ADV team, which is something I have been meaning to try. My game 3 with melle also was quite fun; I missed pulling the trigger with Hidden Power Grass Dragon Dance Tyranitar a few times and deservedly lost. All in all, a fun first few games.

7. Do you have any advice for players who may be thinking about playing ADV OU for the first time?

Eden's Embrace: Be willing to learn, and stop trying to force "heat" and/or "innovation". Learning how to use modern standard teams well, knowing what lures exist; knowing how to play around them all of these are important. Practicing with one team, till you know the ins and outs of how you handle opposing threats, is also very valuable. Knowing how to abuse layers on your opponent's side via Tyranitar / Gengar / Zapdos / Jolteon / Aerodactyl / Salamence. Learning how to keep your Gengar alive vs Pursuit Tyranitar in the back via doubles, or stuff like Hypnosis / Hidden Power Grass; specially defensive Gengar + Dugtrio and even more offbeat stuff like Focus Punch. Learning to preserve your bulky water properly, especially vs the torrent of Toxic physicals. All of these definitely play a role in learning how to play, and even if you don't know or understand these things, that is fine, as long as you are willing to learn.

8. What is your opinion of Rock Slide in ADV OU?

Eden's Embrace: I love Rock Slide when I flinch, and hate it when I get flinched. It's a very love/hate relationship.

9. Do you have anything else to say to our readers?

Eden's Embrace: Not much! I am having fun playing as of now, and I still have a lot of improvements to make in my own play, but thank you for having me, and hopefully some more people will dabble in the tier.

Bonus Question: Why should Gengar run Hidden Power Grass when it already has access to Giga Drain?

Eden's Embrace: Gengar when using Giga Drain, even if it catches Pursuit Tyranitar on a switch-in (the extremely bulky one that is the norm), 4HKOes Tyranitar; you gain a bit of health in the bargain so now you have a Tyranitar that can be 3HKOed by Giga (barring being Pressure burned by stuff like specially defensive Zapdos) vs a Gengar that is now forced to play the Pursuit / Crunch game. Even if you're 112 Special Defense Gengar (the currently popular set) you escape with 12% and lose on the next repeat of this scenario; if you stayed in predicting Pursuit you now have a ~65% Gengar and a Tyranitar that is still 2hko'd by Giga Drain. So now you have to win another Pursuit / Crunch turn (where the worst option I guess for them is Pursuit being used and you staying in). So only after staying in on Pursuit twice in a row do you win (maybe thrice? I highly, highly doubt this though), and if you lose; then you lose basically the best abuser of Spikes in the game. Swampert (if reasonably healthy) being able to take a Giga Drain and blast you with a torrent boosted Hydro Pump is another notable reason probably.

148 SpA Gengar Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 44 SpD Swampert: 255-300 (63.1 - 74.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery. (This is actually inaccurate since bulky Gengar will opt to run way less Special Attack, since I am talking in the context of Spikes abuse)

If running Hypnosis Giga Drain Gengar vs a Swampert in a 1 vs 1; you probably are better off trying to Hypnosis twice, then Giga Draining straight up; especially if you are chipped.

Hidden Power Grass changes this especially with Spikes down, and even more so if you opt to double out the first few times you show Gengar, and rack up Spikes damage on Pursuit Tyranitar.

60+ SpA Gengar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 147-174 (36.3 - 43%) -- 97.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

60+ SpA Gengar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 323-380 (79.9 - 94%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

60+ SpA Gengar Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Swampert: 275-324 (68 - 80.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Gengar Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tyranitar: 154-182 (38.1 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery (some players opt to run far more Special Attack like this)

The damage recovered from Giga Drain can often be worth it, but for some teams / players being able to remove Pursuit Tyranitar much easier is worth it. Especially since I regard Will-O-Wisp Gengar with Spikes down to be one of the most effective (albeit against common strategies) in ADV. It doesn't look too important at first glance, but small stuff like this can make all the difference.

Genghis (Gengar) @ Leftovers
    Ability: Levitate
    EVs: 248 HP / 40 Atk / 8 Def / 20 SpA / 112 SpD / 80 Spe
    Timid Nature
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Punch
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Explosion

A Gengar set like this -> a Choice Band Dugtrio is also quite a reliable way to remove Tyranitar (especially if it had to eat an attack or Will-O-Wisp while coming in) because most bulky Tyranitar EV for Dugtrio's Earthquake, so a little bit of residual damage is needed.

Bulky Dugtrio (credit to MDragon) is another cool partner for this set. It's faster than the majority of Dragon Dance Tyranitar at +1, able to take a bulky Dragon Dance Tyranitar Earthquake with no prior damage, and can even come in on a chipped 252 Modest Blissey Ice Beam (maybe aimed at Gengar) to execute a trap. This also lives 92 Special Attack Celebi Hidden Power Grass ~65% of the time, which is useful since a lot of teams will use Celebi to help alleviate the pressure Gengar is exerting with Will-O-Wisp (although this can very easily go wrong with Spikes, Ice Punch rolls, and other similar things).

In response now, I have even seen some Ice Beam Tyranitar being occasionally used. Even though this is an old metagame, there are always small changes/optimizations that are used in higher level play to get an edge in commonly repeated scenarios, and building / EV'ing with this in mind is quite important.

I hope this was helpful, and if anyone notices any inaccuracies, feel free to tell me.
    Enjoy.

Thanks, Eden's Embrace, for taking the time to tell us a bit about yourself and ADV OU, especially including the detailed response to the bonus question! For anyone interested in challenging Eden's Embrace's ADV OU Gym, make a post in the Challenge Log, and make a post in the ADV OU Gym. Be sure to read the rules for the PO League as well! This edition of Player Interview is coming to an end, but there will be more to come. To nominate players to be interviewed, post here or contact @E.T. on the PO forums.

Eden's Embrace - For Being Interviewed
    E.T. - Questions
    RedJoker25 - Grammar
    JoyFrost - Banner

Do you want to contribute to Articles too? Here's How to Become an Articles Contributor.​

2. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    Just dropped in to say this.

Dude, you're cool af and you're a great friend!!

Rohit Rana and Eden's Embrace like this.
Moderators: E.T.