1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, due to a lack of interest, playerbase, and general desire to continue, PO will hereby cease our separate tiering and adopt Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[POCL] Pokémon Online Champions League 2017 [Finals: won by Winchester Wobbuffets]

Discussion in 'Official Tournaments' started by fsk, Oct 29, 2017.

Tags:
Moderators: fsk, Mr. Perry
  1. fsk

fsk Kept Hacking Forum Moderator Server Moderator Tour Director Forum Moderator Server Moderator Tour Director

PO Trainer Name:
    fsk
    [​IMG]
    Banner by @Doy pls, thanks! :mimikyu:

Welcome to the grand final of the Pokémon Online Champions League!

- All the links above are a must read for every manager and player to avoid confusion. If you do not read them, the fault will be on you.
    - I expect good sportsmanship. Semi-aggressive play is fine, but don't go overboard.
    - Use PM walls, activity wins will be decided primarily based on PO Forum activity.
    - Matches can be played on Pokemon Online and Pokemon Showdown.
    - RBY OU will be played in a Best of Three (BO3) format.
    - All replays (in case you played in Pokémon Showdown!) or logs (in case you played in Pokémon Online) should be saved and posted either in this thread or on the Discord Replay Channel. When there is a disagreement on the game result, we will need replay (on PS) or full log (on PO) to validate the result.
    - Teams used in the matches should be sent to the hosts before the match to prevent an auto-loss in disconnection. Cryptobin is highly recommended.

- Important Note: There is a major change in the tiers played in the tournament starting week 6, read the updated Information regarding tiers carefully.

Stuttgart Stoutlands (4) VS. (6) Winchester Wobbuffets

SM Ubers: @Capt.Knightwalker VS. @holy break
    SM OU: @gengar17 VS. @Eternal Spirit
    SM OU: @Googly VS. @Lcans
    SM LC: @Casparov VS. @confide
    ORAS OU: @Relous VS. @Starmaster
    BW2 OU: @Bushtushin VS. @Bluri
    DPP OU: @Kushalos VS. @deluks917
    ADV OU: @Marcop9923 VS. @M Dragon
    GSC OU: @Bomber. VS. @champagne papi
    RBY OU: @marcoasd VS. @Troller

@Captains Deadline for this round is Sunday, 5th November at 23:59 EST. As a reminder, players should be aware of the recent changes in Daylight Saving and carefully avoid misunderstanding when scheduling. And finally, good luck!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2017
  2. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry wat Forum Moderator Tour Director Forum Moderator Tour Director

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    And after a little more than 9 weeks, we reach finals. I'd like to thank everyone who joined, you guys did an awesome job!

Good luck to both teams, and may the best win! ~

La.Melle2402, Casparov, Edna and 3 others like this.
  3. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Active Member

Neutral luck and have fun to Stoutlands. Congratulations on making finals, regardless of outcome. I have multiple friends on the opposing team and am genuinely happy for them for making it this far.

Let's do this Wobbas! :)

La.Melle2402 and holy break like this.
  4. Lavos Spawn

Lavos Spawn addict

first about my team, already said what i wanted to say in the discord, but for those on the outside you gotta know how much fun it was to play with seakings this year. bunch of great guys, glad to make some new friends and overall pleased w/our season (+thanks for carrying me to playoffs when i was in the hospital).

personally i feel great about my play, only 1 loss and it was near out of my control, clean wins across the board. got to experiment with mons i dont normally use and get comfortable with new playstyles. this was a nice warmup tour for me and im looking forward to spl, with any luck i will be on another team with some of these excellent dudes.

onto predicts........

SM Ubers: Capt.Knightwalker VS. holy break - brings decent teams
    SM OU: gengar17 VS. Eternal Spirit - the chillest villest
    SM OU: Googly VS. Lcans - nice #1 dude vs pansy whiner
    SM LC: Casparov VS. confide - u spelled kasparov wrong bro. first name garry
    ORAS OU: Relous VS. Starmaster - should do a merger so the ban carries over tbh
    BW2 OU: Bushtush VS. Bluri - one of the best bw around when he cares
    DPP OU: Kushalos VS. deluks917 - insufferable vs sweet boi
    ADV OU: Marcop9923 VS. M Dragon - GOAT back in his best gen
    GSC OU: Bomber. VS. champagne papi - not sure rachee knows gsc well enough to take it long but i could be wrong
    RBY OU: marcoasd VS. Troller - best matchup imo, should go to 3, troller has luck tho

Klefkwi, Edna, holy break and 2 others like this.
  5. Yes.

Yes. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yes

SM Ubers: Capt.Knightwalker VS. holy break
    SM OU: gengar17 VS. Eternal Spirit | vai Gama!!!
    SM OU: Googly VS. Lcans | Lcans is really solid imo
    SM LC: Casparov VS. confide
    ORAS OU: Relous VS. Starmaster
    BW2 OU: Bushtush VS. Bluri
    DPP OU: Kushalos VS. deluks917
    ADV OU: Marcop9923 VS. M Dragon | rooting for Marco tho
    GSC OU: Bomber. VS. champagne papi
    RBY OU: marcoasd VS. Troller | looking forward for this one, could go either way

holy break and CALLOUS like this.
  6. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    #appreciateassmans

7. Edna

Edna Trick Or Sweets? Forum Moderator Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Edna
    Stuttgart Stoutlands (6) VS. (4)Winchester Wobbuffets

SM Ubers: Capt.Knightwalker VS. Holy break | Knowing both of them, CKW has a better level and better teams as well
    SM OU: gengar17 VS. Eternal Spirit | Kinda biased but when gengar is motivated only hax makes him lose, ES is still a good player so should be close
    SM OU: Googly VS. Lcans | should be a tough one considering both were good in the tour
    SM LC: Casparov VS. confide | Casp been carrying for the whole tour, confide played at a bad level which he isn't used to
    ORAS OU: Relous VS. Starmaster | Despite Starmaster playing good in a lot of battles, Relous was more consistent
    BW2 OU: Bushtush VS. Bluri | I think Bluri is more experienced in BW, but that could go either way
    DPP OU: Kushalos VS. deluks917 | another close one but I think deluks will win it
    ADV OU: Marcop9923 VS. M Dragon | depends on M Dragon motivation to actually play seriously, and Marcop has been consistent all along
    GSC OU: Bomber. VS. champagne papi | I believe Bomber is more experienced in GSC, I could be wrong though
    RBY OU: marcoasd VS. Troller | I do believe Troller will make the perfect score, he's been playing very well and wasn't unlucky so far

Should be an amazing final between 2 excellent teams, good luck all

8. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

May the better team win

holy break and Hassin627 like this.
  9. Draciel

Draciel No Goodbyes

PO Trainer Name:
    Neo
  10. Bushtushin

Bushtushin Member

11. Finchinator

Finchinator Addicted and just can't get enough

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    I think the CALLOUS team is favored in every game besides RBY and maybe GSC, but I could also see LC or the SM games going either way, especially considering that the BW result is surprising as is, so hopefully it'll be a close final. Interesting to see Jirachee in the land of Snorlax

holy break, deluks917 and Casparov like this.
  12. Foggi

Foggi Member

oh we in finals wtf

13. marcoasd

marcoasd Well-Known Member

14. Troller

Troller Lucky and Bad

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    Lost 0-2 in an unlucky bo3 gg
    I'm the first who admit that, i probably was just gonna lose either ways, he is just better but sucks i didn't had the chance to try, sorry team
    streaks over omg nooo

[​IMG]

15. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    haha noob get rekt

holy break, Eternal Spirit and Xdevo like this.
  16. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Active Member

Eternal Spirit won

Newalfonquest likes this.
  17. Eternal Spirit

Eternal Spirit Banana Captain Gama

18. Bomber.

Bomber. Active Member

no answer from jirachee. request sub or whatever but let me play

19. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Active Member

Message him on Discord as opposed to here. He is active, has been practicing for his match with you and is 100% intending to play. Here is his Discord info-

Attached Files:

holy break and PhilosopherKing like this.
  20. Lcans

Lcans Member

21. holy break

holy break I am the bone of my sword

22. Marcop9923

Marcop9923 Member

won gg
    finish this boys

Finchinator, Bomber., Klefkwi and 4 others like this.
  23. Starmaster

Starmaster gas

24. deluks917

deluks917 Member

25. Casparov

Casparov This is supposed to be a Medal!

PO Trainer Name:
    Casparov
    Finchinator, Bomber., Foggi and 4 others like this.
  26. champagne papi

champagne papi if young tokyo tom don't trust you...

27. Marcop9923

Marcop9923 Member

So this is how it ends.
    ggs wobbs
    shoutouts foggi.

28. gengar17

gengar17 someone turn this victini into gengar

PO Trainer Name:
    gengar17
    ggs wobbs
    shoutouts foggi

29. Jimmy Turtwig

Jimmy Turtwig Member

[​IMG]

Regigigas wins again.

30. Yes.

Yes. Active Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Yes
    Congratulations dudes, well deserved :)

31. Foggi

Foggi Member

bop guess we lost.

Kinda annoying about the hax in DPP game but other than that every game was good from both sides.
    S/o all peeps on my team, you all are good boys and i enjoyed being with you.

couple of words about each teammate.

Melle - Im happy that you decided to take on the stoutlands when mazary quit, i remember first you didn't want to do it but then after talking with me you decided to go for it and now see, we made finals!

Hassin - u lil bitch. im happy that u agreed to be melles assman, even tho you didn't talk that much you still were a fun person to have around in our discord

Marcop - i really disliked you before the tour but after talking with you for a while and spending time testing and stuff i realised that you are a good kid with potential, thanks for trusting my ass teams everytime even tho many ppl call me bad.

CKW - another person i met through this tour and boi you have big potential in you, i was happy that i could help you in ubers and that you trusted my building in it even tho i haven't played it for a while.

Chillshadow - i didn't know much about you before the tour but you are a super good and fun guy to have around aswell as super player, i hope my advices in SM helped you atleast a bit.

Bushtush - my fellow sneasel. Was fun to team up with you again as we did in roapl but this time instead of being dead last we ended up in finals! i really like your style as a player and when i saw you sign up for midseason i insantly knew that you would be the best pick for our team

Bomber - Another fellow sneasel. We met again after our sad roapl, i guess its some kind of fate that we ended up together. Its always nice to watch you play gsc seriously and i hope i can see more serious gsc games from you.

Marcoasd - the goat and my all time favorite rby player, teaming with you is an honor and i hope you come back to the big scene aka spl and get back your title of the king

Relous - Another guy i never knew before. Im glad i met you because you are a nice guy with loads of potential,i hope i can work together with you again

Slurmz - Shame you weren't so active on our discord chat because you are a really nice guy, always had fun playing dpp ubers with you and im happy we had you on our team here

Casparov - good guy with some sick skills in a trash tier. You played the worst tier of all time but win is a win so im happy we had you either way.

Praj - sm goat. kinda annoying that you didnt show your true skills, back in spl8 i was wondering why you did not get drafted after such an amazing showing that you had in early SM meta and its sad that you didnt get to show off here but i still hope you can play in big tours and make big name for yourself.

Kushalos - kinda wanted to see more from you on our discord chat but you got us the wins so who really cares.

Googly - same situation as with kush, not much on our chat but bringing wins each week and being consistent with innovative squads.

Mindnight - i wish you were more active on the chat and gave us the support we needed but i guess you had some reasons which didn't allow you to be active there.

That seals the deal.We started off with getting haxed in first two weeks then made an amazing comeback, sorry to all my teammates for not bringing you wins but this game sometimes is too much for me. being able to atleast help most of you in respective tiers was the best thing i could do and i hope i was atleast abit of help to you. Love yall

Casparov, Hassin627, Googly and 4 others like this.
  32. Mr. Perry

Mr. Perry wat Forum Moderator Tour Director Forum Moderator Tour Director

PO Trainer Name:
    Mr. Perry
    And it's over! First of all, congratulations to the Winchester Wobbuffets' team for the amazing run and deserved to win, and another to the great run of the runner-ups Stuttgart Stoutlands! You guys showed passion and it was a very close final!
    I'd also like to thank @fsk for the amazing job at hosting this tournament alongside moi, you were great and this tournament wouldn't have been that great without your help, and @Xdevo for trusting me to host this in the first place. Looking back to it, I regret few decisions and I believe this POCL was rather smooth to the players and the hosters themselves and I'm sure we quite enjoyed a tournament with much less drama than what we've been used to this year.
    Lastly, thank you to the @Captains for spending 11~12 weeks with me and fsk trying to make this tournament work, you guys were awesome and I wish you all the best!

See you again (hopefully) next year!

PSA: don't forget to fill in the POCL survey here so we can know what you guys thought of this year's POCL and what you guys think it's the best for next year's one. It's very quick and we expect your answers!

Casparov, fsk and La.Melle2402 like this.
  33. La.Melle2402

La.Melle2402 I'm the bone of my sword

A great run is over. I really don't know how to feel right now to be honest. I can't explain how proud I an, because every single player in my team did an amazing job (yes you too @Slurmz). But right after the loss I feel really sad of course. Its the worst feeling in the world when you end up losing that close in the finals. But I can't say it's undeserved for the wobbus. On the paper they had the strongest rooster, Callous and Philosopherking did a great job there.
    Time for shoutouts for my amazing team:
    @Mazar thx for not caring about this and handing over me the team. Your bot also did a great job for the team!
    @Hassin627 one of my best friends for years now. It was really important for me to have you as our assmann. You carried us! Mashallah Bruder
    @Foggi you were the first player I wanted, because I needed you for the draft. We spent hours together thinking what team we should draft. Sadly your record doesn't show how good you are. Sorry for benching you in the 2nd half of the tour, but we know it was the right decision. You still helped everyone as much as you can. You were a really important part if the team my polish bastard. Next year we win this.
    @marcoasd Im glad that you signed up after I asked you too. After a rusty start you showed everyone that you still are the best rbyer around (but watch out, Troller is coming for you!). Sadly you were pretty busy in real life and didnt talk that often.
    @Marcop9923 to be honest i didn't want to draft you and almost traded you if Calloud didn't offer only shit deals. But now im glad he did. You were amazing, you + foggi in adv were amazing. I hope you get in next spl, you showef everyone that you deserve it!
    @Bomber. I actually didnt want to draft you too :D but im glad I did. I like your crazy style and you are a great player. And it was nice to have someone whos english is worse than mine :p
    @Slurmz Sorry for not giving you more chances and puting you in ubers in week 1. really wanted to give you more chances in gsc, but when I let you play your opponent were dead '-'. Sadly werent active at all. Sometimes it doesnt look like it but i really like you and I respect you a lot.
    @praj.pran ayyy your 0-3 record is amazing! :D jk m8. I have really no idea how u finished the tour without a win :/. Your teams were amazing and you helped the other players in oras and sm a lot. Was really really nice to have you in our team!
    @Mindnight sorry for not giving you more chances bro. Sadly you weren't really active.
    @Googly what a crazy player. Great run in olt and here. I expect a lot from you in the future :] but you really have to find a new place to live +12 is a shitty timezone :(
    @Kushalos sorry for putting you week after week in bw. But you did a great job and didn't complain. It was great to have you on my team man. I hope we play in more teamtours together.
    @Relous du bist der hammer. I swear, this guy will be the best german oras player in the future. He has a lot of potencial. I can't wait to see your wcop performance next year.
    @Bushtushin best midseason pick for our team. You played amazing, especially in finals against Bluri. I hope we play in further tournaments together!
    @Capt.Knightwalker what a steal lmao i bought you as a back up player but from week 2 on you carried us. I really hope we play more tours together. Thanks gpr carrying us and now help me winning the ubers seasonal bro
    @gengar17 the best player overall in our team. You are one of my best pokemon friends and i learned a lot from you. It was really important to have you on our team. I hope you give me a high five one day
    @Casparov the last player of our po boys group. It was really important for me to have this po player core. You were my first real friend when I started competetive pokemon years ago and you are still oke of my best. Before the tour started everyone was like 'the stoutlands have no lc player' - well here is my fucking dutch. He got us more points than the dutch national team got in the world cup qualifications. 7-1 record in this shitty tier. Well played sir, well played. I love you man.
    I hope you guys enjoyed this tour as much as i did and i didnt annoy you too much. Hope to see you all next year, peace out

IMG_1854.PNG

sulcata, holy break, Casparov and 5 others like this.
  34. CALLOUS

CALLOUS Active Member

I wrote this on Friday morning, when the score was 0-2 favoring Stoutlands, and the final outcome was still uncertain. I did this deliberately because I want my thoughts to be as clear and honest as possible as opposed to potentially emotionally effected by whatever the outcome ends up being. If the Stoutlands do go on to win then I sincerely congratulate them. I'm friends with Marcoasd, Bomber, Marcop9923 and CKW and I have a tremendous amount of professional respect for Chillshadow. They're a very talented team of mostly great guys and I'm happy for them. Obviously if we win I'd be thrilled. I put in a ridiculous amount of time and effort into this event- over 40 hours of pre-auction prep work and then at least 10 hours per week each week thereafter- and I'd love to win this event as both a player and a manager. Suppose we'll see what ultimately ends up happening.

There are a few things I want to say, however, regardless of whatever the outcome ends up being. First of all I want to thank Mr. Perry and fsk for hosting this event and for giving me the opportunity to be a manager. I assure you I tried very, very hard to draft the best team possible and to win the event and I hope my efforts did not disappoint anyone. I know how difficult it is to be an event host and how much time and effort it takes and how stressful it can be dealing with everybody's nonsense while also juggling everything you have going on in real life. It's a tough, time-consuming, thankless job and I have a genuine appreciation for the effort you guys put in. Other than the Arcanines/Gogoats decision, which I think was an absolute abomination, you guys did a great job and I appreciate you.

As much as I genuinely enjoy drafting and managing competitive Pokemon teams, and a lot of the time that was true here as well, if I'm being honest I do feel a lot of negativity and disappointment with this event, even if we ultimately go on to win it. I strongly feel like a very large portion of the players in this event- on all teams, not just ours- simply did not give a frig about the event. Several people randomly disappeared or didn't want to play. Many who did play couldn't be bothered to test or prep at all and were just pulling up whatever team three minutes before the match and playing. I suppose to various degrees this is true in every event, but it felt extremely common here and it felt like there were more people who didn't care at all/cared very little than there were people who cared a lot. I chalk that up to a combination of factors- PO dying/being on the way out, people not caring if they get banned or in any kind of trouble here, the overall competitive Pokemon community being comprised of young people who do not manage their time well or think ahead well and perhaps poor timing in that this tournament was occurring at the same time the Snake tournament was occurring and as such this tournament was considered the lower priority by many. Whatever the reason, it was definitely disappointing to see.

Any other negative things I have to say would be smaller and more nitpicky, so I suppose I'll just keep them to myself, but for me there was just a super strong sense of "I don't give a frig about this event" all around and I feel it really took away from my enjoyment overall. I don't understand why people sign up for an event they don't care about, don't want to play in or aren't going to prep for. That is very frustrating to me.

I suppose now is the time to give some managerial comments and feedback to each of my players. I'm not one of those managers who is about to write- Player A you were fantastic! Hope to work with you again. Player B you did such a good job! Hope to work with you again. Player C you got unlucky but I know how good you are and you'll do well in the future! I hope we work together again! Here is some REAL feedback, honest and unfiltered. It is not intended to offend anyone if I'm not showering someone with compliments; I'm just the kind of person who keeps it real, always, for better or worse.

PhilosopherKing- Absolutely, without a fraction of a doubt in my mind, the best assistant manager for me. Made himself extremely available for communication, including 2+ hour long phone conversations at whatever stupid time at night when we both had work in the morning, and put in just as much time and effort as I did. I could always reach him if anything came up and he had my back 100% when we had to make tough decisions. Great guy, great friend, great manager. All the praise and appreciation in the world for this guy.

Troller- Troller and I got off to a bit of a rough start, possibly because we both have a big ego and sometimes they clash a bit, but midway through we patched things up and it was super smooth sailing from there. Regardless, in my mind Troller is the clear tournament MVP. Disappointing he didn't get the 9-0 but with wins over Marcoasd, Beds, Alexander and Metalgross- all high end SPL quality RBY players- Troller did more than enough to prove himself and he should absolutely, without any doubt in my mind, be purchased as an RBY starter for SPL this year. Troller is a great team guy who contributes his thoughts and his testing to every tier he knows and he takes events seriously, preps and tries his very best to win. 10/10 would buy again and work with again absolutely any time. Despite our differences we're definitely friends and it was a privilege and a pleasure to work with you.

Sapphire Saffron- I don't even know where to begin with this one... I can tell you, definitively, that this is one of the top 5 most unique individuals I have ever encountered in my entire life. If you discount the week 1 6-6 relatively early disconnect against Bomber, she went 5-1, so for the 3k we paid for her she significantly overperformed and we're thrilled with her results. That said, it felt like she got a bit lucky a few times (against K3nan being the most egregious) and that 5-1 could have easily been 3-3 or 2-4. SS does two things very well- she preps like a maniac and comes in extremely prepared and she plays a mathematically sound, tight, logical game. SS also does two things noticeably poorly- her teambuilding could definitely be better (she is one of those people who builds her own way, and to an extent that is fine, but a lot of the time she'd show up with some really bad sets or just Mons that are very do nothing) and she plays too linear/by the book. She needs to take calculated risks more often and be able to mid game shift gears based on the situation and start making high risk high reward plays as the situation dictates. She's a very stubborn, set in her ways person and can be very argumentative so if you're considering drafting her in the future just be aware of what it is you're getting- she's intelligent and talented, she'll take it seriously and try hard and she definitely wants to win but she's going to do what she's going to do and you're not going to talk her out of it.

Deluks917- This is the second team tour in which I've purchased and worked with Deluks and he has put up lopsided positive records in both of them. I feel his DPP and BW are a cut above his ADV, though he is certainly capable there, and he's largely undervalued by the community as a whole as I feel in both tournaments I've paid a good amount less for him than he's actually worth. Deluks preps a lot and does his due diligence before his matches and he tries his best in game. He's a good team guy who doesn't create drama or problems. Deluk's biggest weakness is probably a lack of team versatility as far as what he is comfortable piloting. There are several archetypes or specific Pokemon in any given tier that he is simply not comfortable or overly experienced piloting, which makes his options a bit narrow and potentially predictable. I think the best thing Deluks could do for himself to take his game to the next level if to force himself to practice with Pokemon that he knows are highly viable but isn't particularly comfortable with and diversify himself. As it is, Deluks is likely a lower end SPL caliber guy and should get serious consideration as a flexible 3k sub/utility guy who will be reliable and dedicated.

BingBongBaller- Nice guy. Pleasant to work with. Contributed positively to the team and continued giving suggestions and ideas even after he was benched. I don't feel he played particularly well in the matches he did play and maybe he's not as good as I initially thought but I'd still consider paying 3k and taking a shot on him as a sub in a future event. He has the potential to be reasonably good if he is willing to be a bit less self-assured and work toward improving, but he comes off like he thinks he's pretty good already and doesn't need to improve, so... Either way, I enjoyed working with you even if the results could have been better.

Bluri- I want to preface this by saying that believe it or not I actually genuinely like Bluri as a person. I really do. But mannnnnn, this guy is a piece of work... The poster child for "high ceiling, low floor". For baseball fans, Bluri is Hanley Ramirez- when he wants to be he's the best player on the team and the opponent other teams should fear the most. But, the rest of the time, he shows up with an untested, whipped up three minutes before the match train wreck of a team- if he bothers to show up at all, that is- and gets destroyed. The talent is undeniably there but between him being on and off with each new day as to whether he wants to quit Pokemon outright or is super motivated to play and the fact that he's extremely reachable outside the game but refuses to participate in the team Discord discussions Bluri is simply unreliable. There is too much risk associated with drafting him for a manager like me, who is huge on stability and reliability- to realistically consider drafting him again unless it were a dirt cheap steal and I did not ever have to rely on him as a starter. Basically, he can tag in and play when he feels like it and doesn't need to play when he doesn't. Otherwise I would not be interested in dealing with this headache again.

Starmaster- I'm pretty torn on this one. On one hand, it felt like Star was genuinely frustrated with his own losses as well as when the team wasn't doing well and likewise he seemed genuinely happy when the team won and was doing well, which would indicate that he cared about the event. On the other hand, he couldn't be bothered to prep a lot of the time and played many of the matches via picking a team from his builder five minutes before playing and rolling with it, which would indicate he didn't care about the event. The lack of prep was definitely frustrating for me, as I felt that a couple of his losses could have been wins had he bothered to prep, but beyond that my overall experience with Star was largely positive. I enjoyed our conversations and felt like he was a reliable guy and a tryhard- just like me- and his talent is undeniable. Would definitely be happy to purchase/work with again in a future event. A future event TWO YEARS FROM NOW! Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Lcans- Nothing but praise here. He could have contributed more to the team chat but that's just not his personality. Beyond that it's all positive. Tried hard, cared, was willing to test with teammates and always responded/got back to me quickly when I needed to talk with him privately. Conducted himself in a very professional, respectable way and was great to work with. Would buy again with zero hesitation. Rock solid, underrated player who belongs in SPL.

Eternal Spirit- I worked with Eternal Spirit (kinda sorta) once before in that we were teammates in OUPL earlier this year, but he was our SM player and I was our ADV player so beyond being on the same team we didn't interact much. My biggest frustration with ES was his lack of communication regarding scheduling. A lot of the time I'd ask when he was playing and get no answer and then out of the blue on whatever weekend day he'd link us "by the way I'm playing now". Other than that he was easy to work with. Laid back guy who didn't seem particularly phased by anything. ES is definitely one of the stronger SM players out there and he will undoubtedly be in SPL again this year, as he should be. I'd definitely purchase him again.

Confide- Meh... My overall experience with Confide the person was fine. Nice enough guy. My overall experience with Confide the player was largely negative. He contributed next to nothing in the team chat, didn't do a lot of prep and was largely unreliable both in terms of his play and his scheduling. There were at least two different instances in which his scheduling issues led to drama/problems, including the idiotic decision to suggest a time to his opponent that he knew at the time of the suggestion he himself could not make, which did indeed ultimately come back to bite us. I could see a sprinkle of talent at times but it wasn't consistent enough. Overall I found Confide not worth the hassle and I probably wouldn't purchase him or particularly want to work with him in the future.

Holy Break- Holy is young and comparatively inexperienced in these kinds of tournaments and he had definitely never been exposed to top level players prior to this so I think he came into this thinking he was very good and would emerge with a highly positive record without too much effort. Holy is the textbook definition of what many competitive communities call a frontrunner- a person who is all about it and full of confidence and motivation when they're winning/ahead/doing well but then loses motivation/loses confidence/doesn't want to play anymore when they start losing. Holy messaged me privately and repeatedly complained that M Dragon was beating him in test games and Holy blamed that on bad matchups, which he believed Dragon was intentionally exploiting, and luck. In reality, in my opinion, there is just an extremely large skill gap between a world class player like M Dragon and a good but nothing beyond that player like Holy Break and Holy had never played against a player like Dragon before and didn't know how to handle the situation. Overall I think HB is a good guy who means well but doesn't have the right mindset or mental toughness for serious play. I'd consider working with him again in the future because he's pleasant and well-meaning, but he definitely needs to take a step back and re-evaluate his approach and decide whether or not he's truly cut out for the competitive side of the game or if he'd be happier playing casually.

Newalfonquest- Eh... I call false advertising a bit on this one. In our talks prior to the tournament he assured me repeatedly he'd be super motivated, prep a ton and was a huge tryhard just as I am. I don't feel that's what we ended up actually getting. In the games he did play he didn't prep much and didn't seem overly interested or motivated. In one instance he played a super generic sample team, played three test games with a teammate a half hour before the match and called it good. In another instance he told me on Friday night that he couldn't play his match and would likely need to be subbed out. To his credit, he had a positive attitude and was supportive and friendly in our team chat, but overall I found him underwhelming and unreliable. If you get into one of these team tours as a player who doesn't start every week you need to take full advantage of when you do get to play, put in maximum effort and prove yourself. I do not feel that is what happened here. I enjoyed working with him for the most part but I don't know that I'd do it again.

M Dragon- I don't think I have much of a right to criticize Dragon, who is arguably the overall greatest competitive Pokemon player of all time. Dragon is, and always has been, a massive pain in the ass to schedule with and just an incredibly busy person but to be fair we knew what we were getting into when we picked him in the midseason and he was very forthcoming about his availability. That was frustrating to deal with but again we knew what we were signing up for. Beyond that, well, he's M Dragon... He knows a lot of tiers and contributed a lot of knowledge and teambuilding advice and definitely made a positive difference behind the scenes. As a player, though he and I are both disappointed with his GSC game against Lavos, Dragon doesn't have anything to prove. As long as he's going to actually play I would work with Dragon in a team tour 100 times out of 100 and each time it'd be an honor and a pleasure to do so.

Champagne Papi- Jirachee is an unbelievable player. I'm still in awe at his BW game and how masterfully he played it, fighting for every single minor advantage and taking advantage of every single minor opportunity to get lucky and somehow, in an atrocious matchup, give himself the best possible chance, however small, to catch some BS and pull it out. This guy is a grinder! He's another guy who between school and family life and other Pokemon responsibilities and commitments is just really busy and wasn't always the easiest to get a hold of or get updates from, but I knew come game time he'd give it his best and play really well and I respect that immensely. I'd absolutely work with Jirachee again and I hope I wasn't too much of a pain in the ass in my attempts to get updates and such.

Two special shoutouts are deserved-

Finchinator- Even though I think the BS with Arcanines was the weaseliest weasel move I've seen in a long time, Finch helped me more than anyone with pre-auction prep. He took several hours on several occasions over the course of more than a week to answer my very large amount of questions and give me his comments and opinions on literally every single player in the pool other than the small handful I felt very comfortable and familiar with without having to ask. I appreciate it very, very much, it helped a tremendous amount and you know damn well if you ever need something from me you can consider it done.

Klefkwi- Klef helped a lot with the pre-auction evaluation of the Ubers pool, which Finch and I both knew very little about. Most of his evaluations panned our pretty accurately and the information he provided was very helpful and much appreciated. Thank you sincerely for your time and effort.
    Overall, despite it definitely stressing me out at times to the point where I was literally losing sleep, I'm glad I signed up and did this and believe it or not, despite my disappointment with some aspects of the event, if "next year" had its manager signups tomorrow I'd absolutely sign up again and hope to participate. I love team tours as a whole and I have a special place in my heart for PO, as I used to be a gym leader and an ADV OU tutor here way back when and I got my first major tournament win in this very tournament many years ago.

Thank you sincerely to my team, even more so to those who genuinely put in effort to prep and take it seriously, for the enjoyable ride and the solid finish. Hopefully I get to copy/paste this as a champion as opposed to a runner-up but either way it's been a memorable ride and I'm thankful for the experience. I definitely learned a lot as a manager as well as about myself as a person and those things will stay with me long after this event has concluded. Til next time...

35. Troller

Troller Lucky and Bad

PO Trainer Name:
    Troller
    Third pocl win in a row oooooooooooooooo
    I'm pretty bad at the shoutouts just want to say thanks teammates for making this real i really had fun cooperating along with you, and special thanks to Callous for betting on me, as an underdog
    Wobba forever!

36. Finchinator

PO Trainer Name:
    Finchinator / Finch
    [​IMG]

grats dudes

37. confide

confide Member

Ive been really busy with work and school and sports and just trying to have a social life, so i wasnt very active and didnt prep much, i lost lots of games and ultimately the positive effects i brought to the team were v little.

However though, instead of openly bashing his teammates, id like to thank the wobbas for making this an enjoyable tour for me. special shoutouts to:

Star for pointing out the errors in the plays I made (which were quite often lol) ur a great player and a good guy.

Holy break for being so fkn adorable omfg

Troller for going like undefeated or something and carrying most of us lazy idiots on your back

And Callous for drafting me; uve poured way too many hours into putting us in the best possible position to win to not earn and enjoy this trophy. Thanks.

There was nobody on the team that I blatantly disliked (except for maybe star l0l) you guys are all dope, talented, and cool people, im glad i got to team up with yall

pce

38. deluks917

deluks917 Member

I had a great tour. I was only invovled in gens 3-5 so I didn't get to know everyone as well as I could have. Some shout outs:

Troller - Amazing job winning so much in rBy despite a hard schedule. Your 8-1 record is especially impressive since you basically had no one to prep with on the Wobbafetts. Thanks alot for sending me a very good DPP team. After testing I made no changes. Congrats on three in a row.

M Dragon - I played one of your teams in week1 (I got in via Callous). You were incredibly generous with teams throughout the event. You helped me prep for my game vs Eden's embrace which resulted in a blowout win for the Wobbas. Sadly I lost playing one of your teams vs linear but that was my fault for sequencing my pokemon wrong. Sorry about your record. You played three games and got almost unwinnable mus in two of them (vs marco and especially vs eldoin in BW). It was super cool to meet you. You also helped holy break alot which contributed to nice wins (including one in the finals).

Jirachee - You played incredibly. Callous discussed your amazing win in BW. You posted (and used) the original version of the incredible team I played in the final. When you ran the team you got a pretty hard mu but you still made the win look very easy. You got us a clutch win the finals with some nice GSC play. Despite being a smogon TD you were super open to feedback from your teamates. Just great on all metrics.

Callous - You did your homework and drafted an incredible team. Every week you were willing to do anything you could to help your players prep. We got in a decent amount of great adv test games. Sadly we had pretty different perspectives on teambuilding. I think we are both kind of "rigid" in terms of what we think is good in ADV. In DPP you seemed to have more faith in me but we still had some conflicts over how to approach various mus (for example you wanted me to use something different in the finals). This is the second time i have been on your team and both times have gone great. You really know how to put together a great group of players and give them tools for success. I am very happy we came away with the belt and the title this time.

Andrew - You are a really good player and super easy to get along with. I am very happy we are teamtes for WCOPP. Sorry your luck didn't work out. Early in the event I was extremely worried I was going to get perma-benched and you would have the DPP slot.

Saphire - Great GSC record. Overally you probably "deserved" a 4-1 in GSC since you had both a loss and a win to hax as well as a DC. The SuMo win was a highlight of the tournament. You ran a powerfully creative team and you managed to win despite missing over half your magma storms. Synthesis/defog kartana for the win!

Bluri - Sadly you had some conflicts about this event and considered quitting mons mid-tour. But you are an extremely good player and still finished with a winning record. Nice job winning with my rain team in the semis!

Starmaster - I loved the adv team you played. Amazing play in the playoffs. Had the finals gone to tiebreak I would have voted for Wobbas picking LC and sending you. Your LC play is really something else.

Lycans + Eternal Spirit: We didn't really meet but both of your were cool to banter with while we watched games. You both played great, ran nice teams and got us an extremely good SuMo record.

Holy Break: I really enjoyed watching your games, you had some cool teams. In the end you finished close to even but if things had broken differently you could have had a 6-3 record. You were a cool guy to chat with. I hope we find ourselfs on a team together in the future.

Confide: You had some some well played games. Thanks for getting us some wins we needed.

Quest: Sorry you didn't get to play more. You put alot of effort into helping your teamates and you gave tons of feedback. Staying involved despite not getting to play most weeks is really admirable. Best luck in future tours, you will be an asset to whoever picks you.

PK: We didn't get to interact much but you were a really positive influence on chat. You were also always available to help players with ADV. In addition you were invovled with the draft which, as I said earlier, resulted in a monster team.

===

Overall the Wobbas were an incredibly strong and great team. I was super happy to be part of our winning run.

I also want to thank all my opponents. Everyone was easy o schedule with and I think almost all my opponents played quite well. Sorry to hax you so bad Luigi, I didn't deserve that win. Special shoutouts to linear, I loved the team you beat me with. It was really fun fighting all of you.

Peace out everybody.

39. Hassin627

Hassin627 feels dank man

PO Trainer Name:
    Hassin627/dank jesus
    Damn this was close enough af, grats to wobbs, you deserved it
    not doing individual s/os cause im bad at that but big ass shoutout to my whole team, you guys are the fucking best and our run was a real blast, didnt have this much fun in competitive for a while
    Individual thanks to melle tho for taking over the team and asking me to be his assman even tho i didnt do shit the whole tour lol ily man

once again grats wobbs and grats callous

CALLOUS, Joyverse and Casparov like this.
  40. Joyverse

Joyverse Toki wo tomare!

PO Trainer Name:
    Joyverse
    [​IMG]

GRATZU WOBBS! See you all next year! :D

Moderators: fsk, Mr. Perry