1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Chansey vs Blissey

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Discussion' started by Judas, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Judas

Judas Member

What REALLY is the difference? Chansey has overall more bulk and can take physical hits a little better. They have the same movepool as far as I know so they're using the same things. The only thing Blissey has is a little more base HP and Leftovers. I just know Blissey was OU at one point whereas Chansey never was, were people just sticking to Blissey because they were used to Gens 2-4 without Evo Stone?

2. scarloc

scarloc Member

answering your last question first = chansey was inferior to blissey without evo stone. thats really it.

in general blissey has less bulk but has more attacking options (flamethrower, ice beam etc) and leftovers recovery which i feel is more important with sandstorm around these days. but chansey just has alot of bulk. like a lot!

3. Galblade

Galblade FAT PRINCESS

In OU with sandstorm present makes Blissey better in that regard. The Passive damage makes her lose slightly more HP than blissey with lefties. Thats all though, and both are actually UU now in DW (I think).

4. pokmaster

pokmaster Member

Chansey has overall better defenses than Blissey wih Evolution Stone. But Blissey does have leftovers and icebeam/flamethrower if you really want it. Chansey cant do anything to Sub Pain Split Gengar though

5. Stofil

Stofil Hello Miss Galaxy

With all these Nattoreis and (they were before the "ban") Shanderas around Blissey is probably the better choice in the long run as you pass bigger wishes, get lefties and at least has the choice between useful special moves or seismic toss.

6. twofivefive

twofivefive don't call it a comeback

Yeah. Blissey also has access to my "Quadruple-Status moveset" which is cool!

7. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

@Iceydude
    I thought they both got that. :P
    In any case, it's bulk vs. Lefties, really. You CAN use Blissey offensively, but that's inadvisable.
    IMO, bulk is better, but what would I know? I don't use either.

8. Contest Master Majin

Contest Master Majin Member

Blissey has more overall Special Defense if you include Leftovers, which of course you will. If you go for a Calm 252/252 set on both, Blissey is the better choice to use.
    Other than that, Chansey is an amazing mixed wall, but has very limited options in terms of attacking, and has to stick with the very unreliable Seismic Toss. I prefer Chansey in UU, but with the prevalence of SS in OU Blissey will be around a lot longer.
    imo, both of them suck in OU because of Kerudio :P

9. Dark Trinity

Dark Trinity Member

I've seen someone actually run an offensive Blissey set with Calm Mind and it worked surprisingly well. With Blissey's bulk, it's fairly easy to pull of six Calm Minds, switching back and forth from Softboiled.

10. Archerknight

Archerknight Legends

PO Trainer Name:
    Archerknight
    Personally, I prefer Blissey because it gets Leftovers, although in Ubers, Chansey is probably better for that extra bulk.

11. Manaphy

Manaphy ıoı

From experience, Chansey does a lot better in Ubers and is great in UU. In OU though, Blissey is the better option.

12. Django

Django UNCHAINED

yeah that's basically it, its bulk and no lefties on chansey, lefties and a bit more offense on chansey

13. twofivefive

Clefable Tricks a Toxic Orb to Chansey and Chansey is finished. Send in Goruggo to set up on it and then pwn face.

14. twofivefive

@User Name:Quad-Status requires Flamethrower and Water Pulse, and Chansey's Special Attack sucks badly. Like REALLY badly. Blissey can OHKO Scizor most of the time with Flamethrower, and Chansey can't scratch it without Seismic Toss. Gliscor will also kill Chansey, Knocking Off Evolution Stone and subduing it with Earthquake. Chansey is really just a worse Blissey without Evolution Stone. Oh, and Chansey can't touch Goruggo, who can Focus Punch Chansey to death.

15. YAYtears

YAYtears Professional Noob Haxors

I use bliss b/c it can use flamethrower effectively.

16. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

@Iceydude
    Blissey can touch Goruggo? :P
    In any case, Chansey does have counters. Indeed, if you can remove Evo Stone, then it becomes much more vulnerable.
    If you have epic prediction skills, then I suppose Blissey can work offensively, but surprise factor is the main reason it works.

17. yiran

yiran Become a Magical Girl!

My Chansey had less than half of its health damaged under a Goruugo's Focus Punch.

It was a 3HKO.

18. User Name

User Name Life is a maze

@Groshi
    Well, the Chansey was Tricked first. :P
    Albeit, Trick is one of the chain's greatest weaknesses.

19. Blue_Star

Blue_Star Banned

I never usey chansey when I can use blissey. First, leftovers > 40/60 more defenses. Second, the ability to OHKO scizor, 2HKO nattorei and not be owned by ghosts is very important IMO. And 3rd, blissey looks cooler =P

20. twofivefive

Blissey can actually kill Goruggo, by using Toxic, and then spamming Water Pulse, which can actually really mess up Goruggo in Rain. If there is rain.

21. Face

Face New Member

Chansey has a lot more bulk but trades it for an unusable base 35 SpA, while Blissey is less bulky (still hella bulky) but can use Attacks like Flamethrower ( base 75 SpA )

22. cosmicexplorer

cosmicexplorer SWAG

I agree completely that Blissey looks much better than Chansey in every single way. However (unfortunately), Chansey completely outclasses Blissey. With Evolution Stone, Chansey actually has 50 more Defense, and 104 more Special Defense. While 104 is obviously a huge difference, even 50, when considering the huge HP and incredibly low Defense of the two pokemon involved, makes a huge difference. For comparison, Blissey takes 47.9% - 56.4% from CBZor's U-turn, while Chansey takes ~20% less, 38.9% - 46%. Considering Blissey's already-usable physical bulk (not Fighting moves, but it can take a surprising amount of physical assaults), Chansey's increased Defense stat makes it very tough to take down, and well worth using over Blissey.

Second, no Blissey ever uses any move but Seismic Toss. Sure, it has the capability to, but even in Ubers, where Blissey's ability to win Calm Mind wars is what makes it so useful, it absolutely needs Seismic Toss and a status move, and with the Wish buff, running Softboiled is inexcusable. Getting a surprise KO on Scizor, especially when it outspeeds and OHKOs with Superpower, or U-turns out. Standard 252/252 Sassy Nattorei isn't even 2HKOed after Leftovers, and takes nothing in the rain it so commonly appears in. The ability to use Special Attacks more effectively doesn't mean that it should use them.

23. yiran

yiran Become a Magical Girl!

Blissey also has the ability to screw your Clefable. Mail anyone?

Chansey is too weak to knock off and trick. If the item is removed it becomes utterly useless (well comparitively)

24. Galblade

Galblade FAT PRINCESS

Both of which are absent except from Latios though. People are really hyping up Knock off/trick, even in UU where Chansey walls everything, no-one has a dedicated lure to knock its stone off, like Empoleon.

25. cosmicexplorer

cosmicexplorer SWAG

250/105 as opposed to 255/135 base stats in special bulk is nowhere near important enough to make Chansey useless, while Blissey hardly ever runs Mail; Leftovers recovery is simply too useful. Remember, they can both run Protect alongside Wish to scout for Trick, and can easily just switch out after finding that out.

26. joshthelegodude

joshthelegodude New Member

Chansey is better IMO, epecially in Ubers. I K.O.ed 4 ubers in one game with my toxic, stoss, softboiled, and defense curl. I also kill about 1-2 OUs per game, depending on the match

27. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

This is why we play Wifi OU.

28. Natsu_Dragneel

Natsu_Dragneel New Member

Although Blissey has a better movepool, they are moves that you normally wouldn't use unless you have a special need of them (i.e. If you're getting setup in the face by Forry). Blissey and Chansey would probably stick to Seismic Toss due to it's relatively high damage caused to other pokes. I'd stick to Chansey due to it's potential use of Evo Stone, and no significant loss in movepool.

Oh, just a Blissey and Chansey niche: If you find that you want to have a full cleric (Aromatherapy and Wish) and find that impossible, remember there is always Heal Bell and Wish.

29. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

Did someone say psycho shock Rankurusu? :p

30. Ginku

Ginku Banned

CM Rankurusu beats them with psychic anyway.

31. Drigger

Drigger Fabula Nova Crystallis

Defence Curl Chansey with Evo stone!!! = you sir are pro :p