1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2] Damage Calculator for Generation 5

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Discussion' started by Es.Houdin, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Es.Houdin

Es.Houdin Member

Right, it is down from time to time...But it will be back up eventually.
    The free host providing me with all the access is really helpful because I still make small modifications every now and then, but it's getting annoying with all these downtime...

Update: well, if anyone haven't noticed, I added the "coverage calculator" a few days ago (another idea from Slipperjean's excel sheet). I needed it for a tutorial of mine but I think it's also pretty useful.
    Maybe I'll add stuffs like the log (which saves the results), who knows. All that is keeping me from working on this is Blue Kirby's thread on Wishmkr saying that he's gonna make one (so, most likely that one's gonna be cool)

EDIT:
    news~
    Just added some stuffs, since I usually use this, I make small edits when I see the need to...
    You can now create a desktop shortcut for it (right click->Install...) for quick access, rather than having to go through the browser & the page.
    Also, just fixed Lightningrod bug (wow, nobody found out about it? what a surprise...)

nope, haven't found a way to do that swiftly, so that's a no

edited, 'cause I don't want to bump, it's old anyway.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2011
  2. Float

Float Member

bump

3. Da Mafiosi

Da Mafiosi New Member

Can you put a donate button? I wanna donate a million bucks

4. super mario bro

super mario bro New Member

I like this applet! One thing I would like to suggest is perhaps indicating what the probability is of something KOing you (instead of 2HKO-3HKO, it could say 53.65% chance to 2HKO)

5. Es.Houdin

Es.Houdin Member

Well, it feels rather awkward to bump this old & inactive thread, but...just a few notices:

1. I've made tiny additions/bug fixes every now and then (and editing the post above), recently:
      • I've just changed Simple ability mechanism to gen 5 (it was gen 4's...)
      • Growth to +2 spatk & atk in sunshine weather
      • Added nickname support for the import function
      I always feel kinda shocked every time I find a bug, because they were all rather obvious, but aside from Platinum, nobody tells me nothing =/
    2. I've changed the layout to be more suited to 16:9 screens (mine's 4:3, so I didn't really care), that made it look a little uglier though I guess.
    3. Is anyone using it as an out-of-browser app at all? (right click->Install...), I find it rather convenient. Haven't checked yet, but it can probably used offline that way as well (tell me if I'm wrong). It lacks auto-update function though (which means you have to reinstall if you want to update the app). I might do something about it later.

The main idea: feedback, please?
    4. I've made an internal change. It might have made loading movesets data slower, so do tell me if it's too slow. It came with a bonus though, that now it's easier to add movesets (for me at least). As users of the old offline version might have known, the movesets were stored in xml format, making it hard to make new movesets. However now the calc can load movesets in PO importable format, with the nickname as moveset name, and each set separated by a blank line.
      Basically, for example, it can load movesets from a file like this:
      Terrakion.txt
      (yea, there are 5 moves on scarf & band sets)
      It's still meaningless since I've added no file like that though. Also it's still experimental, there might be performance problems, and I might just scrap the function altogether if I find it too time-consuming to deal with them.
      I'm posting however, to ask if anyone can send me a bunch of files like that (preferably, about 20 files of Pokemons that already have built-in movesets) to experiment further, and in case it works, since it'll be easier to make moveset files, is anyone willing to help me add more movesets? (since I still have a few projects on my hand, I can't find the time to do anything else other than checking if the movesets files are valid)

6. Manxer

Manxer I'm Asian, that's why :P

hmm, :-?
    Is this what you are looking for at the moment

I think I can help you (if it's not too difficult) add those movesets in your calculator, however, just a reminder that both Smogon and PO haven't finished all the analysis

Recent changes cause some bugs, I believe, since sometimes Pokemon's stat becomes 10-5-5-5-5-5 (don't ask me why or how, I just use it) (and does it cause the calc load slower ?)

Some suggestion (that I think it might be useful): add a feature that let you import one or the whole team in the calc for temporary, so each time you battle and want to use it quick, just put the whole Importable in the calculator

Great job anw :)

7. Es.Houdin

Es.Houdin Member

nope...not quite...
    I'm not that worried over the quality of them. Right now I need quantity to experiment. I can probably ask some people to help with quality control later.

Really? I haven't been in to competitive battling these days, so I don't use it much. Pokemon's stats becoming 10-5-5-5-5-5 would probably because the level is reset for some reasons...I didn't encounter that bug during my test runs, so I don't know (just tested, changing Pokemon/sets/level doesn't cause that...what's your case?).

Last I checked however, there was quite a bug making it impossible to change the level/HP etc, but I fixed it (and strangely nobody told me about it)

And no, it doesn't cause the calc to load much slower (well, if I do want it to load faster, I can just remove the sprites, nobody's given me opinion over whether I should keep them or not though, so I'm keeping them just because I feel like it. Loading text files surely doesn't cost as much as loading them). However what I'm concerned about is that importing sets from text might take time (data validation and all~). Which means, there might be delays when selecting the pokemon/sets. Much longer delays compared to now, that is...

As for me, it only takes about 1-2 seconds to load the calc usually (the app is just about 800 KB IIRC, it shouldn't take long to download, and it takes just an instant to load the app after downloading).

If you're so concerned about the loading speed, you can just install it.

yea...importing even one set right now takes time (the calc has to browse through all the data to check for names/moves), so importing 6 at a time is out of the question. There are faster ways to do it, but that might cause the calc to load slower. I'm not sure by how much though. All the more reason to experiment...

As it is right now, one can just import 1 Pokemon from the importable at a time, but IMO that should be sufficient.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  8. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Despite the code quality

But why loading 6 pokemon is slower than loading only a single one? You can get all the info in one transaction, can't you?
    That was one of the reasons why I made my calc with cgi, server side scripts can access tasty SQL databases.

And as for sets, I can alter that script (or you can yourself, pretty sure I uploaded sources in that smogon thread) to produce importable.

9. Es.Houdin

Es.Houdin Member

Well, I load all the data into memory at once (there's not much anyway, also that gives it offline support)...Net surely can access SQL databases, but I don't have much experience with them and they don't have many advantages over my current method (all the data is just about 500 KB, if I remove the sprites then it's about 50 KB, and if I use text files it'll be even less, so why not download all at once anyway, it's obviously much faster than sending requests on demand)

However I'm using what is probably the least efficient method (Originally I just wanted to have an import/export function, I didn't even think of using it so extensively). Testing everything in one loop would require some work because of the app's current structure..Net does come with a lot of cool stuffs too, I have that Dictionary (if you don't know about it, let's just say it's an upgraded version of Hashtable). I can just replace my current code with using that and it'd still be the most efficient as data look-ups would be a breeze. Supposedly though, adding stuffs to it would take more time, and I'm not really sure by how much, since I haven't used it much.

Again, yea I can convert my current XML files to text, but they're outdated and unfortunately I didn't make a generalized script for export, so I'd have to code that all over again too.

Anyway, I'm in a busy period, and I can't say for sure when I'll have enough time for all that (at worst, it can be next August).As of now I only have time for minor changes and posts like these..darn...if only I had like 2 days...

10. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    Is Pursuit calculated when switching out?

11. Xclus|Mewmewzapdos

Xclus|Mewmewzapdos Retreated to Showdown ^^

@Es. Houdin, i helped you to added the new new BW2 genie formes data(Tornadus-t,thundrus-t,landorus-t) on the offline calculator, some people might want it so here it is, http://www.mediafire.com/?47x47v1s87bh11o

12. hurricane14

hurricane14 New Member

Just wanted to let you know theres a small bug in calculation. Critical hits ignore defense boosts, which your calculator doesn't take into account. Other than that I want to let you know that this is my favorite damage calculator and the easiest one to use ive found

13. BrownTown3

BrownTown3 New Member

What happened to the damage calculator? Now when I try to open it, I get redirected to some SecureSignUp website.

14. Hakiro

Hakiro New Member

15. BrownTown3

BrownTown3 New Member

Thanks a lot.

16. BrownTown3

BrownTown3 New Member

Why does the link to this damage calculator keep reverting back to the SecureSignUp website? It has happened again.

17. ZodiaK

ZodiaK Get the fuck off my porch

when trying to do damage calcs for more unique tiers, anything not lvl 100 let's say, like LC being lvl 5, or middlecup, random battle, VGC being level 50 etc, usually you run different EV spreads and every time you change pokes to do calculations, you have to re-change the lvl individually, this makes doing calculations outside the Level 100 extremely long and excruciating for those said tiers, any any other tiers I didn't mention, yeah pursuit is calculated as Crunch like sometime posted above, I usually have to use Thief to get the damage off for non switching pursuit. Can't remember anything else atm, that I may have thought could be improved.

18. Daeniel De Castro

Daeniel De Castro New Member

is there a download link to the new version? i've been looking for weeks i can't find any.