1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Pokedex: Help for information

Discussion in 'Simulator Suggestions' started by coyotte508, Apr 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

I'm currently doing the pokedex, and there's some data I don't have.

If you could make a file containing that data, it would be great.

A good website for gathering data: http://serebii.net/pokedex-dp/003.shtml.

Pokémons:

• Pokémon Classification: For example, Venusaur is a "Seed Pokémon"
    • Pokémon Height
    • [OK] Pokémon Description: Put the Souls Silver Descrition there
    Abilities:
    You can use data from http://serebii.net/abilitydex/adaptability.shtml.

• [OK] Description
    • [OK] Battle Effect

Make a file for each different kind of data, and one line per pokémon / Ability. The ability order is the same as in the file db/abilities/abilities.txt

I'll use this data for the pokédex and also in other places.

Thanks for any help! And don't worry, if those are not done when it comes to it, I'll do them myself :p

2. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

Serebii's ability/move (and to some extent item) page info is notoriously poor, it tends to miss key effects and not go into any detail whatsoever. Smogon has vastly more accurate mechanics info, and Veekun soon will as well. For dex entry/height/weight/classification serebii is a pretty good site though.

also, you should be able to extract Soul Silver dex entries from this pretty easily: http://git.veekun.com/?p=pokedex.gi...f;hb=6a49139f94f9dd48ebbb21dac3423fb79f7fe4ce

Last edited: Apr 25, 2010
  3. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Well ok, i'll do souslsilver text using that. Thanks. And I noticed also they have ability description, and a short description for battle Effect.

I'm not against using smogon's detailed ability descriptions, but do you think they'll agree?

4. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

has Serebii agreed? Anyway, what you'd want ideally would be a paraphrased version of them, same basic info but in our own words and shorter, which avoid the copyright problems so long as we don't directly copy. Some of the Smogon descriptions are far longer than you'd want for this, http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/trick for example.

5. coyotte508

Lol serebii's info is really basic though. And If this was any other website than smogon with such detailed info I would send them a notice too.

But if we just take the core of the info, why not? All this has to be done manually and with reflexion :s. Also, for abilities' battle effects, is there really more in smogon's desc than in serebii's?

Edit: Vee-kun's ability desc seems to describe the abilities in their entirety, as well as serebies. And we can always edit those later.

6. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

If you want a reliable source of information, please use bulbapedia, psypokes, anything but Serebii. Their RSE Pokedex had so many mistakes that it made little kids cry in New Guinea. Haven't checked out the D/P stuff but can't imagine it is much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.