1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

How do I start?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by zeroality, Jun 8, 2010.

1. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

I am pretty good with computers, and I have been looking into potential majors for college, and for a lot of the Computer Programming majors, it is reccomended that you learn C++. I am pretty clueless about how to write/create C++, so I was wondering if anyone could let me know how to get started learning?

This isn't really related to Development so I'm gonna go ahead and move it for you.

Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2013
  2. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Actually, C++ isn't the best place to start. If you want some quick results that will teach you the concepts of programming where you can't shoot yourself in the foot, start with Java or C#. They're both similar to C++ problems-wise but handle alot of the nitty-gritty for you first.

Start especially with the concept of Object-Oriented programming and how you can use it to describe then solve problems. Whatever you do, learn to apply those skills to any language you use, no one wants a programmer stuck in a rut.

There's a beta for Visual Studio 2010 out right now, you might want to look into that. Otherwise I suggest Eclipse for Java.

Hope that gives you something to start with.

P.S. Do not go anywhere near VB. You'll spend longer unlearning the bad habits and you'll learn nothing you couldn't learn with C#.

3. Avi

Avi Member

Is C# called "See-Sharp"? If so, I might know some people at school who can teach me. And what programs do you use to write C#? Is it just like lines of code in Notepad? And which is better in the long run to learn first, Java or C#?

4. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Visual Studio is pretty much your best option with C#, it's a fairly integrated language. It lets you drag and drop things onto a form so that you can create things that aren't just command line based. Your friends would know what you need though. Java and C# are so semantically and functionally similar that it's easy to pick up on the one you didn't work on. This early in your potential career you can't get stuck on just one language so don't approach it like one's a end-all be-all... although C++ is definitely the best thing to pick up eventually, as it's the best thing to have on a resume no matter what you're applying for.

You won't get far with Notepad unless you're doing web-based stuff (HTML, Javascript) or some poor choices like PHP.

If you know people who can help with C#, that's a good idea, because they can help you get through the book you should be buying. (I was gonna suggest one, but apparently I never got a textbook on it.)

If you ever need help with something feel free to give me a shout.

5. Avi

Avi Member

Do you know of a place that can give me good tutorials on C#? I know that someone is going to say Just look on google, but I dont wanna start learning the wrong way, you know? And do you have a link for Visual Studio? I cant seem to find one anywhere...

6. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Quite seriously, go buy a book. It may seem backwards, but it's the best and most reliable way to go about it. You can usually go front to back reading the concepts and doing the examples. The best you'll find on the net are piecemeal tutorials.

This should be what you're looking for. You should be able to unlock the trial it but you'll have to find that for yourself.

7. Avi

Avi Member

think i could get it free from ThePirateBay? lol

EDIT: Which version should i get? Im guessing just 2010 Professional would be enough, but since it should be free, which should I get?

8. Akusu

Akusu Guest

I'm using Ultimate. To be honest I haven't played around with it enough to know the pros/cons of each.

9. Avi

Avi Member

Cool. Im 86% done with the download... and Im keeping my 15,000 dollars thank you very much. Lol. I cant believe people are willing to pay 15k$ for the program... must be pretty freakin awesome.

10. Avi

Avi Member

So I am getting C, C#, C++ for Dummies. Good choice?

11. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

I think you should only learn 1 language, not 3 at the same time ^^

12. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Lol if that's one book, sure. Otherwise coyotte's right, pick one :P

13. Avi

Avi Member

its only 1 book haha thats just the name of it.