1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Allowing more than one battle at a time.

Discussion in 'Implemented' started by Eternal, Apr 28, 2010.

1. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Well as I've seen from the "Find Battle" tab, it only allows an user to battle one at a time. I think we should have the option of battling more than one battle at a time. You might ask: but battling more than 1 battler at a time wouldn't be a very wise idea as you may lose focus during battles?

That may be true for some people. But, it is the sole decision of the user if he/she wants to battle more than one battle at the same time. While sometimes your opponent is a slow battler and takes 30 seconds to make a move, you might find it boring that he is going at such a slow pace. Allowing more than one battle at a time would allow the bored user to continuosly battle.

I mean this option would not change things much, it would just allow those users who feel like they want to battle more than one battle at a time to do so. I don't see any negative affects on this.

2. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

I agree. Personally, I can handle upwards of 3 or 4 battles; stacking them on my screen and I've known players like imperfectluck to play an insane amount of multiple battles at same time.

3. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

If this is added, there should be a limit to the amount of battles. I'm suggesting 3.

4. Lutra

Lutra All Gen Battler/Scripter

PO Trainer Name:
    Lutra
    I think a max of 3 is fine. Since your opponents could be making moves at different inconsistent paces, you may have to make decisions all at the same time (on some turns) - which could annoy impatient battlers (if say you made the decision last on their battle). Then if they got annoyed, responding to them whilst also still battling against other opponents will probably get tricky to handle. So this is why I would think a max of 3 would be reasonable because that's what I feel I could realistically take. However, I do appreciate that some people can handle pressure well - so I guess it would be good to come to a consensus of what the max should be. There should be a max just to avoid increasing inevitable conflicts that result in authoritative decisions having to be made - in my opinion.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2010
  5. zeroality

My vote goes for 3.

6. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

Yea, 3 sounds reasonable.

7. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Better idea - server can set the amount of battles. Default being 3.

8. Jules

Jules i make you MANGRY

i supported this from a long time ago in a post a long time ago

:(

9. Darkon

Darkon Member

I agree.

Simultaneous battles works are good. 2 or 3 battles in the same time for each player, IMO.

10. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

I see no reason to limit the number of battles, with time clause they just end up losing a lot if they do too many. And mods can track down/kick people who are seriously stalling (5-10 mins without a move, or something like that) without the time clause.

Letting servers set a limit seems fair enough, but I'd think it's best to have unlimited as the default.

11. Darkon

Darkon Member

eric the espeon, for me battle limit is necessary... a player that play four or five battles in the same time not will play in the same way in all the battles, i think that 3 battles is the max number to a player be competitive battling all in the same time... IMO.

12. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

While playing more than 3 battles at once is very possible, people may abuse the "Find Battle" tab and battle an unnecessary amount of players. They may "spam" the Find Battle tab. This could be problematic. But, as Eric has pointed out, Moderators can track down anyone that's doing this (if that Moderator is aware and active).

13. zeroality

It doesn't matter what the 'default' is, as long as it's changeable so let's not debate that.

14. eric the espeon

It matters because that's what the official server will likely implement, which for some time will be the largest and set the trend. People abusing playing a huge number of battles can be dealt with easily enough by mods (especially once we get the list of battles), and some will find it useful.

"a player that play four or five battles in the same time not will play in the same way in all the battles"
    Why is this a problem for us exactly? If they play worse, it's their own problem.

15. zeroality

I was worried about server load actually. I don't know if that will have an impact if a bunch are doing 4+ at once, along with all the others who may be doing 1-2-3?

We're nowhere near that size yet, but we've seen how bad smogon can lag.

16. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

I don't think the number of battles an user battles will affect the speed of the server. The reason Smogon lags is because of the amount of people in their server (in which they're server is unable to handle the amount of users). And not because there are users battling in multiple battles. But, battling in multiple battles does lag the user that's doing it.

17. eric the espeon

Only a small minority would be having more than one battle at once, and a tiny fraction of them would be playing in more than three battles regularly. I doubt the change to server load would be significant.

18. zeroality

Alrighty then!