1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Other] Your Favorite Quote

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Im_The_Devil, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil I liek cookiez x3

Post your favorite quotes here :D

What is your favorite quote, and please provide a brief explanation. :)

"Don't go for looks, they can deceive. Don't go for wealth,
    even that fades away. Go for someone who makes you
    smile because it takes only a smile to make a dark day
    seem bright."
    ~ Unknown

One of my favorite quotes :D Most of all relationships is missing this fine point. In my opinion this quote defines true love :) What matter most is in a persons inner self, not in their looks nor their wealth...

"Do not do to others what you do not want done to yourself"
    ~Confucius

This piece of wisdom is as old as China herself. The Golden Rule of Confucianism, Covers many aspects of respect for others. I always keep that in mind no matter where I go and what i say, coz this quote if very true to me :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, Please take some time and post the quote that portrays you, the best :) Also provide a brief explanation...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2013
  2. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

Forgive your enemy but never forget their names. - John F. Kennedy

That quote is just full of awesomeness and provides alot of logic in my opinion.

3. Yuki Nagato

Yuki Nagato Member

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment."
    - Buddha

One of the best quotes i have ever had the pleasure to read. It tells us to focus on the present and treat the "Now" is the most important part of your life. The future is something you mould today, not by dreaming but with action. The past itself is gone, nothing we do now can change those events ever. So we must move on.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    - Albert Einstein

It reminds me that knowledge isnt everything. In the infinite cosmos of Space and Time there may be countless variations and probabilities regarding the laws of physics and the way that they manage to interact with each other. In the end nothing is for certain, everything is subject to change and arguement. There is no satisfaction gained from locking your mind into a set order of rules and monotonous progressions forged by others of different ideals. That is why we need imagination. Not only to broaden our aspects and ambitions but also bcuz its fun. :D

(I think i overdid that one)

4. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    Well I don't feel like using my brain to recall them all, so I'll just list the best ones by the book character who said the most quotes I like, Lord Henry Wotton:

[SECRET]"I can believe anything, provided that it is quite incredible."

"Laughter is not at all a bad beginning for a friendship, and it is far the best ending for one."

"I like persons better than principles, and I like persons with no principles better than anything else in the world."

"The terror of society, which is the basis of morals, and the terror of God, which is the secret of religion – these are the two things that govern us."

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Resist it, and your soul grows sick with longing for the things it has forbidden to itself, with desire for what its monstrous laws have made monstrous and unlawful."

"The only difference between a caprice and a life-long passion is that the caprice lasts a little longer."

"Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world’s original sin. If the cave-man had known how to laugh, History would have been different."

"Nowadays people know the price of everything, and the value of nothing"

"People are very fond of giving away what they need most themselves. It is what I call the depth of generosity."

"The basis of optimism is sheer terror."

"To be good is to be in harmony with one’s self. Discord is to be forced to be in harmony with others."

"Good resolutions are useless attempts to interfere with scientific laws. Their origin is pure vanity."

"To become the spectator of one’s own life is to escape the suffering of life."

"A man can be happy with any woman, as long as he does not love her."

"Decay fascinates me more than development."

"To define is to limit."

"To be popular one must be a mediocrity."

"If I could get back my youth, I'd do anything in the world except get up early, take exercise or be respectable." [/SECRET]

Fyodor Dostoyevsky quotes:
    [SECRET]“The greatest happiness is to know the source of unhappiness.”

“Lying to ourselves is more deeply ingrained than lying to others”

“Man has such a predilection for systems and abstract deductions that he is ready to distort the truth intentionally, he is ready to deny the evidence of his senses only to justify his logic” [/SECRET]

I'll post some funny ones tomorrow when my brain is working.

5. Stofil

Stofil Hello Miss Galaxy

"Are we not proof that the universe is a drooling idiot with no fashion sense?"

Oh Mr. Nobody/Grant Morrison, your pringleness will never stop.

6. Snickeor

Snickeor Member

It is disgusting to notice the increase in the quantity of coffee used by my subjects, and the amount of money that goes out of the country as a consequence. Everybody is using coffee; this must be prevented. His Majesty was brought up on beer, and so were both his ancestors and officers. Many battles have been fought and won by soldiers nourished on beer, and the King does not believe that coffee-drinking soldiers can be relied upon to endure hardships in case of another war. - Frederick the Great

7. Professor Oak

Professor Oak same Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep Forum Administrator Server Owner Social Media Rep

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Hope, it is the quintessential human delusion, simultaneously the source of your greatest strength, and your greatest weakness. - The Architect, The Matrix Reloaded.

8. Burnin'Red

Burnin'Red Official Cookie Stealer

PO Trainer Name:
    Burnin'Red.
    Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
    -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    US essayist & poet (1803 - 1882)

I think this quotation needs to be put into practise by us all, for instance, there are tonnes of fields one can choose to study but have we ever stopped and wondered what it might feel like to be different? A bit original?

Putting it into Pokemon, well, why should we cry about a pokemon's brokeness or not, why not just choose a pokemon and make it the best counter there is!

Ralpha Waldo, one of my favourite poets. :)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  9. Ale Ramone

Ale Ramone Member

wow that's one of my favourites too.
    This is quite good too “I draw most of my religious beliefs from Star Wars.” Mike Dirnt

10. SPS

SPS um ........ no

"He who looks with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster" - Friedrich Mietzsche

11. Xenolize

Xenolize Revengeance

PO Trainer Name:
    Omega Hawk
    I have so many. I'll just put them in /secret tags.

[secret]"You got enemies? Good. It means you stood up to them." - Eminem

"I don't care if you're black, white, straight, bisexual, gay, lesbian, short, tall, fat, skinny, rich or poor. If you're nice to me, I'll be nice to you. Simple as that." - Eminem

"The world will not be destroyed by the ones who do evil, but by those who watch and do nothing." - Albert Einstein

"The reason people find it so hard to be happy is that they always see the past better than it was, the present worse than it is, and the future less resolved than it will be" – Marcel Pagnol.

"Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive and go do it. Because what the world needs is more people who have come alive" – Howard Thurman.

"Too many people spend money they haven’t earned, to buy things they don’t want, to impress people they don’t like" – Will Rogers.

"In the end, it’s not going to matter how many breaths you took, but how many moments took your breath away" - Shing Xiong.

"People were created to be loved. Things were created to be used. The reason the world is in chaos, is because things are being loved, and people are being used."

"Dear Heart, fall in love only when you’re ready, not when you’re lonely" – Anony-mouse.

"It’s impossible” said pride. “It’s risky” said experience. “It’s pointless” said reason. “Give it a try” whispered the heart

"It seems when you want someone, they don't want you. And when someone wants you, you don't want them. And when you both want each other, something has to come around and mess it up."

"There are so many people out there that will tell you that you can't. What you've got to do is turn around and say, 'Watch me.' " [/secret]

12. Archerknight

Archerknight Legends

PO Trainer Name:
    Archerknight
    I'm gonna go for:

Time Is Money.

Benjamin Franklin.

Don't waste time.

Because you're not earning money!

13. Marche Radiuju

Marche Radiuju crush it casually

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    You sure that one goes that way SPS? Seems wordier than how I ever see it.

The entire Fight Club narrative would make an excellent quote, but I'll just name a few from the movie I enjoy:

"You are not a beautiful and unique snowflake. You are the same decaying organic matter as everything else. We are all part of the same compost heap."

Shouldn't really need explaining. I just love this quote.

"What do you wish you'd done with your life? If you died right now, how would you feel about your life?"

This one is so effective, to me, because it's asked while drifting into oncoming traffic. It makes me think; have I done with my life what I wanted to achieve by now? Am I happy with how I'm living?

"I am who I am, I am what I have done." -Marche Radiuju

Sometimes we let others perceptions of us stain our own views. This is a nice reminder that our actions define who we are, not the other way around.

Yeah yeah, movies and video games. Philosophers say wonderful things, yes, but they don't have the strength that the context of a story can give. Everyone remembers 'don't cry wolf', and nobody remembers 'To do the same thing over and over again is not only boredom: it is to be controlled by rather than to control what you do.' (Heraclitus).

14. チャンピオンワタル

チャンピオンワタル HYPER BEAM!

PO Trainer Name:
    【天龍神】 ワタル
    "Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil."

~ Thomas Mann

A self-explanatory statement.

15. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

"Do or do not. There is no try"

Yoda from Star Wars. Pretty self explanatory; don't give yourself any excuses, and either complete whatever you set out to do or don't.

16. Halsey

Halsey Wildstar

PO Trainer Name:
    Kat
    I had to do this
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18443_6-famous-movie-wisemen-who-were-totally-full-shit.html

[/HIDE]

Anyway my favorite quote probably is:

Is not trolling if it is true ~ Anonymous508

17. RedJoker25

RedJoker25 Resident Lurker Server Moderator Article Contributor Server Moderator Article Contributor

PO Trainer Name:
    RedJoker25
    "It's said that love is the most powerful force in the universe. I am attempting to harness that power to create weapons of mass destruction...As I understand it, it's a powerful attraction; like a strong nuclear force, is it not?" - Deadeye, RPG Shooter: Starwish - I forget the writer...not sure how to explain it either.

"If we see only what we know, how does anyone ever see anything new?" - Old dude from "What the Bleep Do We Know?" - If I recall correctly, this was found from a search on multiple dimension theories. I'm bad at explaining things, but i found this to be a quote that inspires creativity.

18. Soul Crusher

Soul Crusher Like A Virgin

Success is falling nine times and getting up ten
    Jon Bon Jovi

Those who have succeeded at anything and don't mention luck are kidding themselves.
    Larry King

19. pokemonnerd

pokemonnerd Only uso listens to pnerd. Devo too. Article Contributor Article Contributor

20. Kumiho

Kumiho Silhouettes

PO Trainer Name:
    Kumiho
    "Victory goes to the most perservering."
    -Napoleon

21. Soul Crusher

Soul Crusher Like A Virgin

^So so SO true :3

22. TacoBell

TacoBell i'm a noob ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." ~ Albert Einstein

lol, it's in my sig too
    not because i want to sound fancy or anything ~_~[/HIDE]

23. Wulfert

Wulfert It is me

"Arguing with a retard is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon is just going to knock over the pieces, crap on the board and strut around like it's victorious" - Anonymous.

24. Xenolize

Xenolize Revengeance

PO Trainer Name:
    Omega Hawk
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  25. Nexus

Nexus Legend Killer

Not really a fan but i like this:

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life"
    Winston Churchill

26. Dasdardly

Dasdardly Uknown Bird

PO Trainer Name:
    Dasdardly, Eureka
    "Man is least himself when he speaks in his own person. Give him a mask and he'll tell you the truth." --Oscar Wilde.
    Everyone lies, it's an inescapable truth of being a human. (That being said, I try my hardest to be as honest a man as I can.)

"Judge if you want, we are all going to die. I intend to deserve it." --Joey Comeau
    I don't embrace this in the sense that I rape, murder and pillage daily; but I do think that nothing is sacred. Regardless of what something is, if a joke can't be made about it it's not worth my time.

"The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it." --Neil deGrasse Tyson
    I don't particularly care if there's a God or not; nor do I mean to start an argument about it. But I would much rather place stock in science.

27. Cryptobiologist

Cryptobiologist Member

" Th objective of war is not sacrifice for one's country, but it is to make the other bastard do so "

28. Marche Radiuju

Marche Radiuju crush it casually

PO Trainer Name:
    Juggler
    Just saying, the message here comes from an ancient proverb. Bon Jovi blows.

It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

29. puregenius

puregenius :<

Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.
    -Theodore Roosevelt

30. Groudon Ramsay

Groudon Ramsay Active Member

"Only two things are infinite: the universe itself and human stupidity, and I'm not even sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

self explanatory

31. SockPuppet

SockPuppet lmao

PO Trainer Name:
    sockpuppet
    "Don't go through life, grow through life."

- Eric Butterworth

obv

32. VuvuzelaΒzz

VuvuzelaΒzz •Sage

PO Trainer Name:
    Stephen Colbur
    I believe that the actual quote also included the amount of Zubats in Dark Cave.

33. puregenius

puregenius :<

Forgot these ones:

Truth, no matter how ugly in itself, is always beautiful to the seeker
    -Hercule Poirot

For no fool is satisfied with what he has, but is distressed for what he has not.
    -Epicurus

34. Forum Name

Forum Name Still unknown

PO Trainer Name:
    Ununoctium
    "The proof that there are some intelligent beings in the universe can be, that they don't want to communicate us."
    - Calvin and Hobbes

35. Chispy

Chispy Member

"Is magic just science we don't understand?"

36. Soma #ded

Soma #ded Time for a SOMARAND!

PO Trainer Name:
    Soma
    My favorite Quote:
    [​IMG]
    Explanation: Do I need one?

37. Clarion

Clarion Snow on the Sahara

Best quotes ever:

[​IMG]

38. OkamiBW

OkamiBW Member

Serious Quotes:
    "The death of one man is a tragedy. The death of millions is a statistic."
    ~Joseph Stalin

"All wars are civil wars, because all men are brothers."
    ~Francois Fenelon

"The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority. The first-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking."
    ~A. A. Milne

Funny Quotes:
    When God gives you lemons, you find a new god.
    ~Powerthirst

"Remember my super cool Rattata? My Rattata is different from regular Rattata. It’s like my Rattata is in the top percentage of Rattatas."
    ~Youngster Joey

"It's no wonder they're not able to believe or understand. Especially in something they can't see. But...sometimes when people can't see the truth...they need witnesses to help build their faith."

"Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand."
    ~Kurt Vonnegut

"We’ve heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true."
    ~Robert Wilensky

"If there are no stupid questions, then what kind of questions do stupid people ask? Do they get smart just in time to ask questions?"
    ~Scott Adams

Random Quotes:
    They say there's no such place... as Paradise. Even if you search to the ends of the Earth, there's nothing there. No matter how far you walk, it's always the same road. It just goes on and on. But, in spite of that... Why am I so driven to find it? A voice calls to me... It says, "Search for Paradise."
    ~Kiba (Wolf's Rain)

This one applies to trolls:
    Don’t ever wrestle with a pig. You’ll both get dirty, but the pig will enjoy it.
    ~Cale Yarborough

Sorry if any have been said in the thread before.

And possibly the best one:
    "Some people like my advice so much that they frame it upon the wall instead of using it."
    ~Gordon R. Dickson

39. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto if your world falls apart, i'd start a riot

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    "Imagination is more important than knowledge."
    - Albert Einstein

^ I love this Quote

40. twofivefive

twofivefive don't call it a comeback

Every cloud has its silver lining but it is sometimes a little difficult to get it to the mint.
    Don Marquis

I don't deserve this award, but I have arthritis and I don't deserve that either.
    Jack Benny

I drank some boiling water because I wanted to whistle.
    Mitch Hedberg