1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Fixed] Protect rate

Discussion in 'Solved Bugs' started by coyotte508, Aug 7, 2011.

1. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Can someone check if protect is 50% or 100%/2^n for gen 2, 3, 4, 5, just to be sure?

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pika... chu... Forum Administrator Server Owner Forum Administrator Server Owner

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Fairly sure that Protect is 100% / 2^1 for Gens 2 and 3, and 100% on the first use and 50% on all consecutive uses in Gens 4 and 5. Bulbapedia backs up my knowledge, as do other sources such as Smogon.

I can test in-game if you want, but it'll take a while.

3. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

4. Professor Oak

Professor Oak Pika... chu... Forum Administrator Server Owner Forum Administrator Server Owner

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Seems like it'd be impossible to confirm in-game without a very large test (which I just don't have the time for, considering all 4 Generations Protect is in) or by checking the code of the games itself.

If anyone else wants to test out how often Protect works after the first usage in a certain generation, please do so. If you do test Protect, be sure to not use a move that can break through Protect, and note which Generation of game you are using.

5. petero

petero Member

My own site contains descriptions for Protect from each generation:

http://upokecenter.com/dex/?attack=182

Note in particular:

Generation 2: A variable, X, starts at 255, [...] and is halved each time this attack is successful. This attack succeeds at an X/256 chance.

Generation 3 and 4: A variable, X, starts at 0, [...] and increases by 1 (up to 3) each time this attack is successful. This attack has a 50% chance of failing if X is 1, a 75% chance if X is 2, and an 87.5% chance if X is 3.

Generation 5: A variable, X, starts at 1, [...] and is doubled each time this attack is successful. This attack has a 1/X chance of succeeding, or 1/(2^32) chance if X is 256 or greater.

6. coyotte508

Whoah thanks a lot.

Does this mean that in generation 2 protect always has a 1/256 chance to fail? (seems weird, so I edited the formula in PO a tiny bit to be consistent but don't hesitate to prove me wrong)

Anyway I'll edit PO now, thanks again. (Also, you must get this a lot, but on firefox all your links are striked instead of being underlined)

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. petero

petero Member

You're almost right: it has at least a 1/256 chance of failing in generation 2. In generation 2, the first use has a 255/256 chance of succeeding, the second use has a 127/256 chance of succeeding, the third use has a 63/256 chance of succeeding, and so on.