1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

[BW2 OU] First RMT- OU Sun team

Discussion in 'Rate My Team' started by GreenWater10, Aug 24, 2011.

Moderators: Edna, fsk
  1. GreenWater10

GreenWater10 GreenWater10

At a Glance
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

I started getting into competitve battling as soon as I wanted to battle over WiFi. I thought I could win with a team of Driftblim, Metagross, Salamence, Swellow, Graveler, and Infernape. I laugh at myself now. I learned everything about battling for 2 years, and just recently, I learned about online simulators. So I tried using everything I know until I came up with this team. This team hasn't given me a lot of luck. I've read every article I could, and I am very knowledgeable about Pokemon. I know about checks and counters and team synergy, or at least I've read and understood the articles, but I can't make a team that works. So I'm reaching out by asking for help here. I actually want to win instead of getting beaten up badly. After a month of playing, I realized I needed weather on my team, so I choose sun, since that was my favorite weather. Then, my points raised up to about the 990s from the 700s. I plan to get it up to about 1100 after all of you help me. Thanks for your time.

[​IMG]
    Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Toxic
    - SolarBeam
    - Overheat
    - Power Swap

This Pokemon makes it sun, which helps a team member in some way. I'm not going to use SolarBeam unless the opponent doesn't have a weather changer. Overheats gets a boost from the sun and STAB, and Power Swap is used to weaken the opponent's special attacker by 4 stages, since I'm goning to use it twice before swapping the power.

[​IMG]
    Shiftry (F) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Growth
    - Sucker Punch
    - SolarBeam
    - Brick Break

Shiftry and Volcarona are the 2 main sweepers of my team. I've used them in many of the sun teams I have built, and I have been very sucessful. Sucker Punch takes out Latios, Solarbeam takes out bulky waters, and Brick Break weakens Heatran and Tyranitar if I can predict it. Black Belt helps me achieve these goals. 2 of its moves become useless as soon as another weather comes in, so I'm not going to use this Pokemon when that happens.

[​IMG]
    Volcarona (F) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Flame Body
    - Quiver Dance
    - Flamethrower
    - Bug Buzz
    - Morning Sun

This is my special sweeper, and it's done a pretty good job. Both moves it uses are STAB. I use Quiver Dance until I get less than 60% health, then I use Morning Sun to heal it to full health, and I either repeat the process or attack with full Power.

[​IMG]
    Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

This guy has good coverage thanks to a Rock + Ground move. It can revenge kill by using Ice Shard, and it serves as my spinner to insure a safe Volcarona switch in. It's HP is already divisible by 16 to ensure full Leftovers recovery.

[​IMG]
    Electivire (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - ThunderPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

There's an Electric+Ice combo, which gives it full coverage. Choice Band allows it to hit more, but I'm wondering if I should let Electivire hold Choice Band or Expert Belt. I like to play by the Item Clause, but I don't want Shiftry to hold the Choice Band, or any choiced items. Fire Punch gets a boost from the sun and Earthquake is the best move in the game.

[​IMG]
    Dugtrio (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 28 SDef / 228 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Sucker Punch
    - Stealth Rock

This guy is my Trapper. Tyranitar and Heatran will go down after a few Earthquakes. If not, the Ground+ Rock combo is always there, and Sucker Punch is meant to revenge kill. I also needed a Stealth Rocker, so that's why he holds it.

Conclusion:
    As anyone can see, this team is very weak and needs a lot of help. If you would like to take out some Pokemon, please do, but try to keep Ninetales, Volcarona, and Shiftry, since they function well together. Also, I do need a Cleric. Something that can pass Wish or Aromatherapy would do well, since half my team can't function when they're Burned or Paraylzed.

Team Building Process:

[​IMG]
    I wanted to make a sun team, so I chose Ninetales.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After trying a lot of Pokemon to abuse the sun, I came up with these two.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I needed a spinner and stealh rocker, so I gave this guy a try. Volcarona isn't happy with Stealth Rocks up.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    After learning the fact that Skarmory could learn Stealth Rocks, I gave him the job, and I gave Donphan the job of just a spinner. This guy can prevent my team from poison if I could predict Toxic.

I used Aerodactyl so that I could have a ground resistance, flying resitance, and normal resistance. He learned moves that can give him good coverage.

After taking advice from my RMT, I decided to replace Skarmory for Electivire for a flying resist and Aerodactyl for Dugtrio so that Dugtrio could be a trapper and a Tyranitar/Heatran killer.
    [secret]
    Ninetales (M) @ Air Balloon
    Trait: Drought
    - Toxic
    - SolarBeam
    - Overheat
    - Power Swap

Shiftry (F) @ Expert Belt
    Trait: Chlorophyll
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
    - Growth
    - Sucker Punch
    - SolarBeam
    - Brick Break

Volcarona (F) @ Life Orb
    - Quiver Dance
    - Flamethrower
    - Bug Buzz
    - Morning Sun

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Ice Shard
    - Rock Slide
    - Earthquake

Electivire (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Motor Drive
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Fire Punch
    - ThunderPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Earthquake

Dugtrio (F) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Arena Trap
    EVs: 252 Atk / 28 SDef / 228 Spd
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Earthquake
    - Rock Slide
    - Sucker Punch
    - Stealth Rock
    [/secret]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2011
  2. GreenWater10

Threat List:

Jirachi: This guy's ability kills my team. Body Slam paralyzes my team, and I don't want to use a ghost type or else I might as well have some more Entry Hazards on my team.

Politoed: He changes the weather to rain, which my team has problems with just because I have a huge water weakness.

Hippowdon: This guy is bulky and doesn't have any 4x weakness to anything. I can't kill him with anything!

Sigilph: How in the world are you supposed to kill him with +6 in both defenses and absolutely annoying moves? Whirlwinding is risky because it kills my Skarmory.

Jellicent: With Scald, it can kill my team members with either burn or it being super effective.

Conkeldurr: By the time Skarmory comes, it usually has Bulk uped at least enough times for Skarmory to be unable to OHKO with Brave Bird.

Kingdra under the rain: It has no weaknesses except Dragon, which Aerodactyl holds, but it outspeeds Aerodactyl.

Haxorus: This thing kills my Skarmory with Outrage.

Scrafty: It's Bulk ups and Drain punches are like Conkeldurr's.

Breeloom: This thig will kill my team with spore and focus punch.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  3. Johnidel

Johnidel Chirp chirp

The reason your pictures might not work is because you need to put the URL between [​IMG]

4. Latias11

Latias11 Member

If you want aerodactyal as a flying resist, why not use Heatran? It resists fire, gives you a decent Latios switch-in if it's sunny, and get boosted fire STaB in the sun.

Try this Volcarona set:

[secret]
    [​IMG] (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spd
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Quiver Dance
    - Morning Sun
    - Bug Buzz
    - Fiery Dance[/secret]

In sun, morning sun heals 75% of your HP, and after 1 quiver dance most special attacks will do very little to you (your water weakness is lessened in the sun, special flying and rock attacks are rare to non-exsistant.

For shiftry, solarbeam is very risky, as after you use it once your opponent will be able to switch-in the there weather inducer and make it charge.

If you want sprites, use [​IMG]

5. GreenWater10

Thanks for giving me advice. I guess I will make the following changes:

Donphan gets stealth rock in place of Stone Edge
    Donphan is invested in Def
    Aerodactyl has been replaced by Electivire
    Skarmory has been replaced by Dugtrio
    Shiftry no longer holds the life orb
    Volcarona holds the life orb and gets morning sun instead of HP ice
    Shiftry holds the expert belt
    I will put pictures