1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

Users in channel count on channel tab

Discussion in 'Simulator Suggestions' started by eric the espeon, Aug 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

Perhaps the last important change to channels I've got to suggest is including the number of players in a channel in the channel tab and sorting by most players. Channels with a small number of players are almost without exception dead, whereas those with a higher number of players are usually more active and worth visiting. The official channels on PO Main have specific purposes and plenty of people anyway so won't be affected, but allowing users to quickly get an idea of activity in a channel will make it much easier for the other non-official channels to grow to a reasonable size. Having other mid-size channels (smaller than Tohjo with it's 50 people talking at once, but bigger than the 5 friends who are not usually around. So there are few enough that you can have a real conversation most of the time, but big enough that there are actually others there) will encourage subcommunities to develop using the chans system, make main chans easier to mod, and provide more choice for users.

2. Donkey

Donkey Banned

I like that idea

3. Elements

Elements BOOMER SOONER

PO Trainer Name:
    Elements
    Oh, I was confused when you called it 'channel tab'. So your idea is to have active channels appear at the top of the channel list? I like that idea.

4. eric the espeon

Correct elements. The list of channels tab, should've been more precise.

5. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

I can see problems with this if it's actively pushed. Users may choose to part Tohjo Falls because it has too many events or w/e. With channel list, the Tohjo count would update constantly :/

Of course this can be implemented such a way, that the client can request the channel user counts again, but anyways. The problem is that the current network protocol must be broken in order for this to work, this information is not transmitted over the wire currently.

6. Mystra

Mystra Active Member

Coyo wants to break it anyway, no? Although there should be limit on a number of requests maybe.

7. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

on freenode, do you sort channels by numbers and decide where to go from there?

8. eric the espeon

Fair point, the number of users per chan could be called just as you switch to the channel tabs, or every few seconds to prevent needless constant updating on large servers.

No, however that is a very poor comparison for several reasons. Firstly the size of freenode or any other large irc network is orders or magnitude larger than any PO server. They have immensely more channels, and those near the top of the list are significantly bigger than Tohjo (as well as being related to projects I am not remotely involved with). Secondly, those kind of IRC networks are extremely diverse. They are used by countless entirely separate communities, unlike PO. On PO you have a focus, Pokemon, with topics spreading out from that and the community. You would be able to see what's active and interests you as well as being part of the same general community, the PO one.

To answer a much more valid comparison, I have used the sort by users and see what channels are interesting on several IRC networks of a more comparable scale with a focus which interests me, irc.foonetic.net (XKCD) and irc.veekun.com (veekun's network).

9. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Despite the code quality

Client recieves info about connecting/disconnecting players, can't it count them? Increment the counter when new user enters the channel and decrement it when user leaves...
    Besides, there is a list of players, can't client just compute its length?
    It's not like i opt for this future though...

10. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

Point is, this should be shown also to channels where the user is not currently.

11. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

Client only has absolutely no info on other channels. It could sit in a lone channel and not know about any player of the server.

12. Blastcore

Blastcore Developer

You can do this though scripting o.O

Channel Name [90 Players]

13. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Despite the code quality

But again, only for active channel.

Well, I missed the point. Anyway, Client recieves the list of channels upon opening the tab, right? Maybe server can send the number of players with it without updating it constantly...
    While Client can count players for active channel(s).

14. Mystra

Mystra Active Member

Just for teh record. I'm against this idea :}

15. eric the espeon

16. mibuchiha

mibuchiha Was yea ra chs ieeya.

PO Trainer Name:
    mibuchiha
    I'm pretty useless in all the techno stuff, but I'm also against this. It seems so complicated and bandwidth killing for something that I can't see the benefit of... well, there's the benefit that ete mentioned, but you know, hunch tells me it's not gonna be any different to users...

(And there's the worry that this feature would make PO even harder to hop on for those with small bandwidth like me...)

17. eric the espeon

The bandwidth for a non-constantly updating version would be absolutely tiny (a few dozen double digit numbers.. that's a couple of normal length chat messages), and I'm not sure how you could call it complicated. Just a number and a second column with players? And I'm certain it would help channels develop and grow.

18. mibuchiha

mibuchiha Was yea ra chs ieeya.

PO Trainer Name:
    mibuchiha
    First, refer to the first part of the first sentence of my post...

And second, I imagined it as some kind of always-updating kinda thing. Which seems like something huge to me... >.<

19. eric the espeon

Lamp brought that up already and several alternate low-bandwidth implementations have been suggested :)

20. Mystra

Mystra Active Member

Bandwidth. Unless you can make it really small or optional.

21. eric the espeon

If it does not auto update (i.e. updates only on the switch to channels tab), surely the bandwidth of a single number would be much smaller than the names of channels?

22. Nightfall Alicorn

Nightfall Alicorn Left Pokémon Online, most likely not coming back.

PO Trainer Name:
    Nightmare Moon
    I imagine sending every user a user count of channels constantly would impact the server with lag. Maybe a 1-60 minute update check may work. But the more channels there are the greater it has to check the count. But I do find completely empty dead channels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.