1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sever is online after the host logs off?

Discussion in 'Help' started by Im_The_Devil, Sep 8, 2011.

Moderators: E.T., Zoroark
  1. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil I liek cookiez x3

I was wondering, if it was possible to make my server to be online indefinitely??? :o

What are my options if i would like to do that:confused:

Most likely, I need another host for the server.exe application, can anyone help me, with any ways to get a server running even after the server.exe application has been closed?

The only options i know is to share the server files via dropbox and let another person host on behalf of the server name >_>

2. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

Yes, you need a computer to be on always to run the server (it really makes sense if you think of that).

You can rent some cheap virtual servers for 10-20$ (or more if you want better or dedicated). Also ask your friends and family if they have already server machinnes, so you don't have to .invest on your own.

3. Im_The_Devil

Im_The_Devil I liek cookiez x3

You mean VPS (Virtual Private Servers). Ya those are quite expensive. Does Beta Server and The Registry use VPS to host?

If I want to do it for free, then my only options are to share my server files with another client. :confused:

4. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

Yes, both PO Server and the Registry are hosted on a VPS.

Another thing to look into is something like Amazon's EC2 platform.

Renting space on a cloud is sort of like getting a VPS in the sense that you can store files and they'll always be available to the public. With Amazon EC2, you would be paying on an usage scale - meaning if the server remained small then you wouldn't be paying very much at all.

If you can afford a small monthly budget then this seems like a good way to go.

5. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there

Actually it's dedicated and not virtual which is running PO server, but it doens't matter to end users too much ;)

Moderators: E.T., Zoroark