1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Guest, PO has ceased our separate tiering and adopted Smogon tiers for SM. More information and updates here.

Dismiss Notice

The Ideas Thread - Brainstorm new video ideas here!

Discussion in 'YouTube Channel' started by Eternal, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Django

Django UNCHAINED

Since there are no relevant threads to post this, I'll post a few of my ideas here:

-Have a sticky thread in which a preview of each video (Narration + battle replay, before it gets edited together) is posted. Users can comment on the narration and suggest ways of improving it. There should be a list of videos that need narration in the OP, and any user can put together a narration and submit it to this thread for analysis. This will generate discussion on what makes a good narration, and hopefully improve the quality of narration. If the narration is deemed not good enough by a general community consensus then it will not be uploaded as a full video.

-Have ALL uploaded videos go through this "quality control" thread, in which every user is given an equal say on what should go onto the channel. Lets give everyone a bigger say on what goes on this community channel.

-Allow users to discuss battles in the Community Battles thread, and have the period for new "rounds" extended to two weeks. This generates discussion on what makes a good battle, and the community becomes more involved in what goes on to the channel.

2. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    I agree with these ideas, only with a few minor changes and a few extra ones:

- While I agree with the user discussion on selected battles I think there should be a separate discussion thread to prevent clutter and remove potential drama from the thread designed for just submitting battles.

- While minor and optional, when reviewing battles a REJECTED edit should be considered to be posted battles that aren't good enough (just like APPROVED) as well as a small explanation on why it was rejected. This way 1. players won't submit that same battle every week, thinking it wasn't reviewed/should be reconsidered, removing clutter and 2. It will encourage the ones wanting to be on the channel to improve and submit better battles, thus potentially benefitting player ability.

- While I'm unsure about the whole community judging narrations, as that's what the comments in the submitted youtube videos are for, there should be a larger group of narration reviewers other than Eternal. If the narration is bad, either the narrator retries the narration or another narrator will go and replace them. The only problem with this at the moment is that since there are so few narrators, I don't think this will be implemented until more experienced PO members volunteer for the job.

- People narrating other players' battles may be a bit uncomfortable or inaccurate, as they don't know about that players thought process in that battle. That's why I propose that a player not narrating their battle gives a script or list of notes explaining why they did certain plays, whether good or bad.

3. bigXxXDUB

bigXxXDUB New Member

An idea I had was maybe do like a weekly podcast with 1 or 2 set host but have 1 or 2 "special" guest each week and that could be members of this site. It gives some members some exposure and also if the viewers really like certain guest they can come back on the podcast kinda like a "back by popular request" thing. The questions can be screened by everyone who is supposed to be on the podcast so there's not like any awkward silence and it can be a mixture of intro questions/metagame questions/ personal questions/ and comments.

4. Darklight

Darklight Nothing is True

I can do a Pokemon White Walkthrough if you like. BTW is narration neccesary?

5. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    The channel is sticking to competitive battles. However, we might make a separate channel for all of the other stuff such as those walkthroughs, EV training, etc.

Narration will be necessary in every video we make, whether it be battle, tutorial, or walkthrough. You aren't forced to narrate your own battle though should it get approved; if you can't narrate, one of our narrators on our narrating team will do it for you.

6. Xdevo

Xdevo Phrasing Super Moderator Tour Director Super Moderator Tour Director

I think the PO YT is too be mostly for Competitve battling (stuff that would relate to PO in general), I doubt a White walkthrough would really be appropriate.

bs ninjas

7. Jcpdragonx

Jcpdragonx the business business

do video on top 5/10 pokemon in _______ tier (not on statistics, on whoever is talking's opinion).

8. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    We already have a series called the Top 5 that we're (or we should be...) working on. If you want to add proposals to the Top 5 topic, here's the thread.

9. parasect4win

parasect4win FEAR PARASECT

i think everytime the is a major tier change (i think one is happening soon) we could make a podcast dicussing the changes, or maybe just have a podcast for competative battling anyway- like bigXxXdub suggested

10. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

I'm thinking of doing an interactive battling guide to help people learn to play competitively. I'm just posting this here so I don't forget about this idea.

11. neonacho105

neonacho105 New Member

Why no a comercial?

12. 1996ITO

1996ITO Member

Some time ago I thought about a guide with friends, but were lazy at that moment lol, also @neonacho105, if we do it (just incase this goes) commercial and Pokémon Company, Game Freak or Nintendo knows about this, we are lost :/

13. TrulySkillLess

TrulySkillLess New Member

I was thinking of doing a Sorta LP on Pokemon Online. Basically, it would show me playing some battles, building my team to improve it, Giving some tips that I have, talking about some memories of playing pokemon, and just having a good time. I'm recording the First EP tonight, and will be uploaded sometime tommorow morning, and I'll put it in my post.

14. SPS

SPS um ........ no

pretty sure you have to get approval before doing something like this

15. TrulySkillLess

Hmm? Its not going on POSCommunity (yet...)

16. Tyki

Tyki Change

PO Trainer Name:
    Tyki
    LPs in general are kinda frowned upon for these channels, as they are about the PO Simulator, not the games. Maybe try on your own channel?

17. TrulySkillLess

Thats where I'm posting the first EP.1

Afterwords I'll record my normal version, and not an intro/plans for the show, and then submit that, because it is Battling, it just has a few bonuses such as me talking about the game and memories of older games, building my team, giving tips, and stuff like that

18. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Well the POCommunity channel's purpose is to let the community submit videos of anything pertaining to pokemon (excluding AMVs o_o ) like our popular Trivia series.

The community channel actually wouldn't mind seeing Let's Play series for the actual games, but if it's a laddering Let's Play series that I believe it is (like what Eternal has already created his own series for) TSL would probably have to have some form of proof that he's a legit battler who can actually climb the ladder (multiple teams that reached high on the ladder before, big forum tournament wins, etc.)

Either way, he would still need approval from Eternal before he can do either ideas mentioned.

19. Daz

Daz New Member

Hi guys. I'm Daz and I'm a Spanish competitor/youtuber. My english is not so good but I will try my best xD. I think there are a lot of people who would like to watch batles narrated in spanish. I actually do it buit I think that if we do something like "Pokesp Online" in youtube it wuold be great. It's just an idea but take it into consideration. See you! (and sorry for my english again xD)

20. Jon-jonz

Jon-jonz New Member

How about a theme of the week? Or a Theme Analyses?

21. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    What do you mean by "Theme?" If you mean like team of the week or pokemon analysis, we already have those (although it's not exactly weekly anymore...)

22. Harlot

Harlot i look like the pope

i think he meant a simulator theme

23. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Oh, I see. It might be interesting for the community channel, although each video would be rather brief if I did carry it out.

24. Jon-jonz

Jon-jonz New Member

Well maybe it could be a section to a longer show although it doesn't really have to be long,and I thought this was for a community based channel xD

25. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

This is the most different suggestion ever, but can we show some Mafia games on it, I know it's a Battle Simulator but it's the only official channel there is to the server

26. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    It might actually be possible to try on the community channel since it's relevant to the PO simulator. The only problems are how long the video will be, how well someone is able to comment it, and if the text in the game is readable from the recorded window. I'm sure making a Mafia tutorial at least would be good for it. If you know how to get around those problems, I can try to make a thread about them.

27. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

Okay firstly, how can I get notified that somebody responded to my comment, because I just randomly clicked this thread to luckily find out.
    I'd be game to narrate a game myself, as well as give a YouTube intro on how the commands etc. work, but what you said about screen recording software is an issue I can't solve. Should I upload a Youtube description of the Mafia game and put a link around somewhere here first? My plan is to just show like Slides or something with lots of pictures and the commands in extra huge letters, which is still visible with dirty Hypercam type softwar

28. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG

29. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

Not the game itself, I meant like an intro, a tutorial only. The real game could just be...narrated. Cool I'll start with it, collect good pictures of an HD werewolf and stuff :D

30. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

There, I did it.

[video=youtube;LBfwrhHmkVM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBfwrhHmkVM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

I tried narrating myself, but sometimes I superspeedtalk and I become musical when I do so and I have an Indian accent anyway so it's not a great idea. It's like a bad handwriting.

I dont see why you'd dislike it, just say a few things like:-
    1. I dont own these friggin pictures
    2. Just elaborate on a lot of stuff like what the word priority means, what Dons are, because I've only made small bullet points.
    3. Sorry for making the PL look French, she might in fact be the undoing of the french canadian mafia.
    4. Sorry for making the spy hold a gun. In fact, he's pretty useless.
    5. Sorry for making the Vigilante look like he's fast.
    6. Give a lot of examples in the part about other roles and other themes, like say what Kefka/Ninjask do
    7. Say that improvement tips are given on the channel called Mafia Tutoring on the server.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2012
  31. !UMADBRO!

!UMADBRO! New Member

could we do a series where you try to reach the top of a ladder which would take a while but it will be a good long term series

32. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    We actually have that already, although the current series is only UU:

[video=youtube;vx_kPLaVgSA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vx_kPLaVgSA&list=UUKO2fK_KUHCV9OZFH4H5IKg&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

33. QueenNJ

QueenNJ Member

Feeling...ignored, My Mafia video didn't make it

34. Kyrk

Kyrk KACAW

PO Trainer Name:
    RTG
    Thought I replied about this already, my bad ._.

Anyways, the content of your video was pretty good, but the video needs to be edited so it looks better. I also wasn't able to find a narrator that had knowledge of Mafia to help with the tutorial; I just thought of a few people who could maybe do it, but I can't guarantee I can get them to volunteer.

35. owenLFC01

owenLFC01 New Member

You could talk about each pokemons strengths and weaknesses and why you will want them in your team

36. PlusQuad

PlusQuad www.youtube.com/PlusQuad

Ok my series idea is a dual live commentary of pokemon online. We can talk about pokemon topics and stuff going on in the game. Since its 2 people the commentary can be more natural and its easier for people to listen to. Since we are causal pokemon players the way we discuss and talk about pokemon will appease to other causal pokemon players in the community. We can use the teams in the pokemon team of the week series you have to help showcase teams or use the tips and tricks you talk about in videos to show how they work. We can also try and keep the videos short so that people will be more likely to click.

37. Minako

Minako SEES

PO Trainer Name:
    Minako
    So, this is my first post regarding things that aren't problems with my computer and PO, so forgive me if I come across as a noob (I am one). I looked through the channel, and found that the videos don't have that many (in comparison to even some of the lesser known poketubers), and that the number of subscriptions is low. I think part of this has to do with the frequency with which videos are being put out: sure the Youtube tour had a bunch all at once, but otherwise there are breaks as large as 2 years in some of the series. Another simple remedy for subscriptions and views would be to take greater advantage of the server. Whenever their is a final in a tour, a link to that battle is posted in Tohjo Falls. What if when a video was added to the Youtube channel, something similar happened? I feel as though it's missing out on the key viewer base by not doing this. I also agree with some of the above comments with regard to a podcast of sorts about the decisions that have been made about banning, changes to forums, etc. Maybe monthly. I have all sorts of ideas on how that might work, but I've noticed that this thread doesn't seem to have a lot of replies that are recent. One last thing before I close this out: there are (or were) a lot of cool events like "ladder without leftovers" etc. It might be cool to add those to the "Team of the Week" series that seems to have died out. Also perhaps an accompanying video showcasing it.

Thank you for wading through this wall of text XD.

Ortheore likes this.
  38. Marina

Marina The Marshtomp has seen it all before.

PO Trainer Name:
    Min
    I dunno about you, but I feel as if bans should stay between the server auth and the person who was banned. Maybe I'm just inattentive, but I think there's a reason as to why we can't just see who's currently banned or the reasons willy-nilly. Though I certainly see the recent PO events podcast working out. Especially right now, at the start of a new generation, when tiers are still sorta being worked out.

Also, I'm not sure if this has been said already, but I misread part of Minako's post, and thought "what if all of these user created tournaments (such as the Generations change or the subforum tournaments) had their finals or maybe even semifinals added to the 'videos that need editing/commentary' thread or something?" And I don't watch sports, but I'm pretty sure that important tournaments have all of the matches televised, so why not do the same for important tournaments such as the currently ongoing POCL? I guess that's a bit work-intensive, but I dunno.

39. Ortheore

Ortheore One beautiful monster

Uh Marina I'm like 99.82% sure that they meant bans from tiers, not users getting banned.

Minako has some neat ideas, advertising on server is a good idea, podcast/team of the week/teambuilding videos I think (though challenges like "Ladder w/o Lefties" as they suggested don't really appeal to me, but w/e).

The main issue is simply that no-one's really been doing much for the channel. And that in turns discourages people from maybe thinking about chipping in. For real, I've been kinda thinking about maybe helping out with this, seeing if I can do something, but there wasn't any motivation because the whole subforum was dead until like yesterday with this small spike in activity, which has actually made me feel a little more motivated