1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Fixed] Random Number Generation.

Discussion in 'Solved Bugs' started by Steve, Apr 29, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Active Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

The random generator seems to be really messed up.

(21:44:23) Kate: the RNG sucks, I got criticalled 6 times in 8 turns earlier today
    (21:44:35) Kate: and they wern't even increased-crit moves
    (21:46:19) Kate: I've had heatran flintched to death from 23 iron head flintches

And a lot of other people are complaining. I've noticed a weird amount of criticals happening even when I CC.

2. zeroality

zeroality Artificial Insanity

It does seem excessive sometimes and I have battled OU often on Shoddy. Not much of an ingame player though.

3. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

People tend to notice and remember odd things (low chance events) much more clearly than the huge number of times when nothing particularly unlikely happens, and post about them more. It is possible that the RNG is screwed up, but it's quite easy for things to appear wrong without there actually being a problem.

4. Lutra

Lutra All Gen Battler/Scripter

PO Trainer Name:
    Lutra
    Yeah I've noticed there was a period where barely any crits or status were happening (even less than they should be) and then suddenly recently these low chances of success became very high. Of course, this is no evidence that the random number generation system is at fault, but I think it would be helpful if you actually said what it is based on and allow us to see if they are ways that are closer to an ideal true random generation system. Just because a rng system claims it's true random does not mean there isn't bias in the measuring process or the process really cannot be predicted. It could be the process just cannot be predicted with our current knowledge.

5. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

A lot of people complain about such things and mostly emphasize on things. It's best if they provide a log as proof for these. I would believe the RNG does have problems if Heatran did actually get flinched 23 times in a row. While Iron Head only has 24 PPs.

Probability of 23 flinches in a row = 0.00079%

This could be compared to winning a million dollars in lottery.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  6. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

That's only a 1 in a million chance (or 1 in 126625 to be precise), pretty damn unlikely but when you consider that "23" is probably significantly exaggerated and you get a lot of tries.. not enough proof on it's own. Though, certainly something worth looking at.

7. coyotte508

coyotte508 Well-Known Member Administrator Server Owner Administrator Server Owner

The thing is it's really more random than the RNG used in game. But now I'm seriously considering implementing the same one.

8. Eternal

Eternal こんにちは。

I think you should...

9. Silent Storm

Silent Storm New Member

Seconding, cause seriously, the "hax" experienced in battles is really insane and annoying.

10. wandering scripter

wandering scripter New Member

Hm.. Im guessing you use random.org?

Also, here is a link that will provide you with 5 random numbers, range is between 1 and 75.

http://www.random.org/integers/?num=5&min=1&max=75&col=1&base=10&format=plain&rnd=new

they will be different every time you refresh.

As from their main page..

"RANDOM.ORG offers true random numbers to anyone on the Internet. The randomness comes from atmospheric noise, which for many purposes is better than the pseudo-random number algorithms typically used in computer programs."