Most Up To Date Pokémon Simulator

Pokémon Online is the most popular, accurate, and complete Pokémon battle simulator out there. Open source, it's currently available in 11 languages, on your computer or your Android device. It hosts more than a million battles per month. Download the latest version and enjoy competitive battles across all six generations in real time against trainers from around the world!

Download
v 2.4.2

Playerlist design: ideas?

Discussion in 'General' started by coyotte508, Jan 6, 2012.

1. coyotte508

coyotte508 Administrator Administrator

In the next version of PO, you'll be able to log on with several teams - and battle with the one(s) you want, either by challenge or find battle.

What I need is a design of a playerlist that would fit that. You're free to change completely from what's existing.

Here's what Deity thought of: http://i.imgur.com/h3H1s.png

If you have other design ideas, or ideas to sort the player list etc, post them!
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  2. Zephiell

Zephiell Got from the ride

How would the "sort players by tiers" option would react to this? I would like if that was tested. Apart from that it looks like a pretty cool idea, saving time battling in different tiers could be fun.
  3. coyotte508

That's the whole point of this thread, up to users to figure out how we can sort all this out!
  4. Zephiell

Zephiell Got from the ride

Sort players by ranking perhaps? of all the tiers you picked to play, the tier that's highest in the ladder will have priority over the rest making that tier the "default" for the list.
  5. TheUnknownOne

TheUnknownOne Member

Maybe a "Display Players Matching RegExp" option for advanced users? In that case you can for example remove people with clan tags from the player list.
    The RegExp should be stored in the registry.

Sort Players by Status which sorts by idling. An option to display idle or available players first should be added too, then.
  6. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Benevolent User

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitzamirin / Blitz
    ...I was thinking, why not a "bulleted list" format?

Something like so:
    ~Anonymous~
    ^5th Gen
    >Wifi LC
    >Wifi UU
    ^3rd Gen
    >Adv NU
    ^2nd Gen
    >GSC Ubers

It could also be hidden, with the Poke Ball toggling a "hide/unhide" function.
  7. eric the espeon

eric the espeon is an espeon.

I'd suggest showing people in each tier they have teams loaded for if sort by teams is on. If you want to see who is available for, say 2nd Gen OU matches, you want every player with a second gen OU team available to be listed there, even if that means duplicates. When sort by tiers is off, you can use something similar to Deity's design (sorting those tiers by rating is not a bad idea). What's the plan for multiple teams for the same tier? I can see it'd be nice to have for laddering/tourneying players wanting to stay unpredictable, especially if one of the teams for the chosen tier was selected at random, but may be awkward to make interact correctly with tournaments and stuff.
  8. coyotte508

The interaction with multiple teams is simple, it's just the design that's a problem.

Challenging: you select the team you want to challenge with, and the tier you challenge your opponent in.
    Accepting: You see the tier your opponent challenges you in, you select the team of that tier you want to answer with
    Find Battle: You select the teams you want to ladder with

But anyway it's irrelevant to this topic, let's not have a debate here about this please.
  9. valium7

valium7 New Member

Hey just WANT change a thing when pressin direction keys you can attack instead of boring clickin xD
  10. Shawn Frost

Shawn Frost Neko-sama

I believe that "Sort Players by Tiers" is a great sorting option, and should not be removed if the design of the player-list changes as it's very helpful. So I think that Ete's idea is great. I also like Deity's design, so maybe we could use a variation of that design when "Sort Players by Tiers" option is turned on. Something like this, maybe?

[​IMG]

The symbol next to LU is a bit blurred since I used raster graphics, sorry.
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2012
  11. Elements

Elements <b>Don't Blink</b> Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Elements
    What if you just click on a person's name you see their tiers. Like you click on the user's name and this appears.

http://i.imgur.com/h3H1s.png

That way the userlist can still remain neat and organized.
  12. coyotte508

But how do you know which players are in the same tier as you?
  13. Deity

Deity Designer Administrator

You could lower the opacity of any player that isn't in any tiers you're in to like, 0.5.
  14. Lamperi

Lamperi I see what you did there Super Moderator

That would be really hard to notice clue. Maybe more visual notification?
  15. Deity

Deity Designer Administrator

16. Mystra

Mystra New Member

I'm against opacity changes… for those who don't have perfect eyesight it could be hard.
  17. Kalashnikov

Kalashnikov Despite the code quality

Hmm, what if i'm in 15 tiers, all of which have long names, not just acronyms?
    And as for highlighting same tier, maybe just make that tier darker, or bolder?

- OU / UU / Monotype / A tier that has a long, meaningless name / A tier that no one plays / A tier that only 2 players play
  18. coyotte508

only up to 5/6 teams, not 15.

Maybe put the tiers in common first and elide if the list's too long?
  19. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Benevolent User

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitzamirin / Blitz
    Perhaps a show/hide function? It may be toggled to show tiers the user has specified.

Options:
    Sort players by tiers:
    1. Show all tiers
    2. Only show tier specified

Then
    This can be done for all tiers. Though, I need to provide a visual image, and not a mental one >_<
  20. Elements

Elements <b>Don't Blink</b> Forum Moderator

PO Trainer Name:
    Elements
    What if you just make the names of the players who aren't in the same tier as you italicized in the userlist or something.
  21. DarkProto

DarkProto New Member

So when is the next version coming out?
  22. Mystra

Mystra New Member

When it's done, duh.
  23. -Zack-

-Zack- New Member

I was thinking of a colouration system.
    Each player will have a background colour to their name.
    Gray: You share no tiers with this person.
    Black: You share 1 tier with this person
    Red: You share 2 tiers with this person
    Orange: You share 3 tiers with this person
    Yellow: You share 4 tiers with this person
    Green: You share 5 tiers with this person

Each user's tiers will be hidden for tidiness. An expand/reduce button like in Shawn Frost's example could be present for each user. When expanded, it will list the tiers as in Deity's example. Tiers in common should be highlighted in a clear visible colour that is different from all the other colours (Blue perhaps) with others being shown in another clear colour (White).

Dunno how eays it would be to make this system work, but it's an idea.
  24. profDEADPOOL

profDEADPOOL INSANE Professer

How would this work with the you must ladder rule for mafia?