Most Up To Date Pokémon Simulator

Pokémon Online is the most popular, accurate, and complete Pokémon battle simulator out there. Open source, it's currently available in 11 languages, on your computer or your Android device. It hosts more than a million battles per month. Download the latest version and enjoy competitive battles across all six generations in real time against trainers from around the world!

Download
v 2.4.2

[Fixed] Protect rate

Discussion in 'Solved Bugs' started by coyotte508, Aug 7, 2011.

1. coyotte508

coyotte508 Administrator Administrator

Can someone check if protect is 50% or 100%/2^n for gen 2, 3, 4, 5, just to be sure?
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  2. Professor Oak

Professor Oak I shall grind beneath my heel all that exists! Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Fairly sure that Protect is 100% / 2^1 for Gens 2 and 3, and 100% on the first use and 50% on all consecutive uses in Gens 4 and 5. Bulbapedia backs up my knowledge, as do other sources such as Smogon.

I can test in-game if you want, but it'll take a while.
  3. coyotte508

4. Professor Oak

Professor Oak I shall grind beneath my heel all that exists! Administrator

PO Trainer Name:
    Professor Oak
    Seems like it'd be impossible to confirm in-game without a very large test (which I just don't have the time for, considering all 4 Generations Protect is in) or by checking the code of the games itself.

If anyone else wants to test out how often Protect works after the first usage in a certain generation, please do so. If you do test Protect, be sure to not use a move that can break through Protect, and note which Generation of game you are using.
  5. petero

petero New Member

My own site contains descriptions for Protect from each generation:

http://upokecenter.com/dex/?attack=182

Note in particular:

Generation 2: A variable, X, starts at 255, [...] and is halved each time this attack is successful. This attack succeeds at an X/256 chance.

Generation 3 and 4: A variable, X, starts at 0, [...] and increases by 1 (up to 3) each time this attack is successful. This attack has a 50% chance of failing if X is 1, a 75% chance if X is 2, and an 87.5% chance if X is 3.

Generation 5: A variable, X, starts at 1, [...] and is doubled each time this attack is successful. This attack has a 1/X chance of succeeding, or 1/(2^32) chance if X is 256 or greater.
  6. coyotte508

Whoah thanks a lot.

Does this mean that in generation 2 protect always has a 1/256 chance to fail? (seems weird, so I edited the formula in PO a tiny bit to be consistent but don't hesitate to prove me wrong)

Anyway I'll edit PO now, thanks again. (Also, you must get this a lot, but on firefox all your links are striked instead of being underlined)
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  7. petero

petero New Member

You're almost right: it has at least a 1/256 chance of failing in generation 2. In generation 2, the first use has a 255/256 chance of succeeding, the second use has a 127/256 chance of succeeding, the third use has a 63/256 chance of succeeding, and so on.