Most Up To Date Pokémon Simulator

Pokémon Online is the most popular, accurate, and complete Pokémon battle simulator out there. Open source, it's currently available in 11 languages, on your computer or your Android device. It hosts more than a million battles per month. Download the latest version and enjoy competitive battles across all six generations in real time against trainers from around the world!

Download
v 2.5.1

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Seeker's Sand Semi stall (Peak #18 in DW OU)

Discussion in 'Teams' started by Seeker, Apr 22, 2012.

Moderators: fitzy
  1. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Hi guys

I have been having great success with this team recently, but I do feel it can do with some improvement(which is why Im here) The team relies on having good prediction, thus forcing switches and KOing, crippling pokes on the switch, while they take hazard damage. The team also has that little bit of a surprise factor which imo all teams need.

Ok now to the team:

[​IMG]

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sturdy
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk /4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock

Donphans job is to set up rocks, which he is guaranteed (barring taunt, sleep etc) due to sturdy. With good enough prediction he can KO espeon on the switch as well ( I usually EQ if I see a suspicious lead (mostly u-turners)). Max attack is to hit hard, especially with ice shard which is invaluable vs Dnite, mence etc. Ice shard is also their to beat focus sash users. Donphan still has good bulk even without EV investment, and with max attack, he hits real hard.

[​IMG]

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SDef / 12 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind

Skarmory is here for... being Skarmory. Sets up spikes, phazes and takes physical hits like a pro. Being Immune to sandstorm helps a lot too. Skarmories weaknesses are covered pretty well by Tyranitar and vice versa. Skarmory is often the only thing that stands in the way of me and a dnite sweep (barring ice shard + wearing down by sand). Brave bird is there because I hate being useless after taunt + it KOs breloom which is troublesome for this team.

[​IMG]

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef /4 Atk
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunder Wave

Specially defensive Tyranitar. I will probably get lots of flak(which I usually do) for using this set, but it works a charm. Non specs politoed hardly scratches it, while it T-waves the switch(typically genesect/keldeo). Rest + sleep talk means it can beatdown its "counters" such as Rotom-w etc. Crunch over payback due to slowbrow + defense drops (which are surprisingly useful). Ttar can wall basically any special attack (bar focus blast) and cripple/ KO the switch with the appropriate move. A specially defensive TTar wins me the weather war almost all the time.

[​IMG]

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 96 SAtk / 76 SDef
    Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Earth Power

Heatran is a great poke. He walls genesect, serperior, basically he is awesome. Sub is there to ease prediction and its pretty easy to get one with the metagame full of ferrothorns. Toxic is great on heatran imo, since whatever cant be poisoned will take some serious hurt from flamethrower/earth power. Politoed and Dnite are usually the main victims of toxic. Bulky heatran since it fits well with the style of the team. The special attack EVs are there since I hate being KOed back by an almost dead heatran.

[​IMG]

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Shadow Ball

Spin blocker, water absorber, Jellicent does its job well. As great as Sp.def TTar is, he cant take too many specs hydro pumps from politoed, therefore jellicent usually scouts the set. Jellicent also provides the all important fighting immunity. Shadow ball is surpringly useful to beat Taunt jellicent, and to hurt Alakazam, who is a troublesome poke. Will-o-wisp + scald means that something will probably get burned. Defensive Evs so that it can take earthquakes and other physical moves.

[​IMG]

Azelf @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt

Terribly underrated pokemon IMO. It has plain awesome speed + coverage, and rips apart many teams lategame. Deals with gliscor,keldeo, ferrothorn, conkeldurr, Non DD d dragons etc. One big problem is the LO recoil + sand though, although he usually comes out in the late game. I was thinking of switching to expert belt, but I would lose the raw power of psychic which is sometimes needed. I need suggestions on this. Also provides a check to breloom, which as aforementioned, gives the team some trouble.

Thats the team, and its been working pretty well, but Im pretty sure it can do with some improvment

THREATS (Off the top of my head)

Ferriligator(in rain):

Seriously, this thing wrecks. 2koes skarm, and KOes everything else. Best chance I have is to get it before it sets up, or toxic it with heatran and predict like a boss until its dies.

Breloom : I need it not to spore skarm, since skarm is my only counter to it (barring azelf, which I like to keep hidden) I usally take a chance and switch in TTar who doesnt mind sleep much.

Alakazam: Ferro usually has to be sacrificed and then donphan cleans up with ice shard. Alternatively, full HP ttar can take Focus blast, (or it will miss ;) ) and crunch ftw.But still troublesome.

Taunt Gyarados: For similar reasons to Ferriligator, but to a lesser extent due to lack of crunch.

Dugtrio: traps TTar and heatran, nuff said.

Import:

Donphan (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Rapid Spin
    - Earthquake
    - Ice Shard
    - Stealth Rock

EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SDef
    Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
    - Scald
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Recover
    - Shadow Ball

Tyranitar (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Sand Stream
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SDef
    Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
    - Crunch
    - Rest
    - Sleep Talk
    - Thunder Wave

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Flash Fire
    EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 96 SAtk / 76 SDef
    - Flamethrower
    - Substitute
    - Toxic
    - Earth Power

Skarmory (M) @ Leftovers
    EVs: 252 HP / 192 Def / 52 SDef / 12 Spd
    Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
    - Spikes
    - Roost
    - Brave Bird
    - Whirlwind

Azelf @ Life Orb
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Psychic
    - Flamethrower
    - Hidden Power [Ice]
    - Thunderbolt[/HIDE]
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2012
  2. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    you are missing some ev's on several pokemon and I am very curious as to why you ev'ed certain pokemon how you did. Skarm could use 24 or 28 speed 32 maximum to outspeed wobb and potentially other skarms.
  3. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Tbh I never noticed the missing Evs :0 Thanks for pointing it out :) ( azelf even had 1 less Sp.Atk -.-) With the Skarm Evs, I wasnt really sure what other skarms were using so I dumped 12 into speed ( Im a pretty lazy Ev er ) Heatran defensive Evs are to take brelooms mach punch better, while I admit Jellicents Evs were pretty ... spontaneous. Tyranitar and Donphan have been explained and Azelf is pretty sel-explanotary.

Thanks for the point out, I think skarm could do with more speed, yes.
  4. Dr. Fuji

Dr. Fuji New Member

PO Trainer Name:
    Dr. Fuji
    I use
    EVs: 236 HP / 100 Def / 120 SDef / 52 Spd
    - Hydro Pump
    - Recover
    - Will-O-Wisp
    - Shadow Ball
    On my jellicent this gaurentees you won't be 2hkoed by starmie (LO timid thunderbolt) meaning if you got hazards spun you can switch in and recover until it's LO kills it or shadow ball it if it uses hydro/icebeam/rapid spin on the switch.

Heatran can live an Adamant LO mach punch?? wow I'll have to calc that.
  5. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Yep that heatran takes 63.7-75.1% from an Adamant LO mach punch(technician included)
  6. Darklight

Darklight Nothing is True

Your team is pretty weak to SD Terrakion, IMO. And btw, put your import in hide tags, select the whole import and click the "eye" icon.
  7. Seeker

Seeker New Member

Thanks :) And azelf can revenge kill SD Terrakion. Also Terrakion wont have much opportunity to set up If I know its not choiced. (TTar can thunder wave and heatran can toxic/earth power. But yes it is a threat, but I havent had much trouble with it/
  8. Mylo Xyloto

Mylo Xyloto smoke + mirrors

PO Trainer Name:
    Mylo Xyloto
    IMO I would use Lava Plume over Flamethrower, because of the burn rate as it is a stall team.
Moderators: fitzy