Most Up To Date Pokémon Simulator

Pokémon Online is the most popular, accurate, and complete Pokémon battle simulator out there. Open source, it's currently available in 11 languages, on your computer or your Android device. It hosts more than a million battles per month. Download the latest version and enjoy competitive battles across all six generations in real time against trainers from around the world!

Download
v 2.4.2

Tradebacks

Discussion in 'RBY' started by -Manaphy--, Apr 25, 2011.

1. -Manaphy--

-Manaphy-- Overconsumption

Tradebacks.

I think it'd be interesting to make a thread on Tradebacks, since from the looks of it make a different metagame from the Normal RBY.

It'd also be interesting to see if it'd be worth it's own tier. (But splitting the RBY players wouldn't be so delightful)
  2. Pizza

Pizza I'm so bad at this game.

I assumed tradebacks were just already added into the RBY metagame as it was? If there wasn't a split before, would there really need to be one now?
  3. -Manaphy--

-Manaphy-- Overconsumption

No, the main metagame ignored Tradebacks completely, or what they called "Pure RBY"

So it appeared to be more of a novelty tier, possible to play but not so common.
  4. borat

borat Member

Of course the "main metagame" ignored tradebacks. The "main metagame" was in a period before tradebacks even existed, before the mechanics were even spot on, before DSL/Cable became mainstream. When GSC came out, people either remained playing RBY (thus, still playing "true RBY"), or people swamped to GSC.

And with GSC, RBY had already existed and people were already trading across gens on their Gameboys even before a "online metagame" stabilized, therefore tradebacks were a natural feature in the game.

No one really plays "true GSC" either. Because both are deviations from "natural" progression.
  5. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior New Member

borat summed it up basically. Tradebacks should be implemented in the simulator in my opinion, but they shouldn't necessarily be part of the standard ladder(but then again, we're breaking tradition by implementing stad mechanics, so it would be a bit less of a stretch to add tbs to the official meta).
  6. CALLOUS

CALLOUS New Member

Tradebacks are part of the metagame whether people like it or not and should absolutely be implemented.
  7. Blitzamirin

Blitzamirin Benevolent User

PO Trainer Name:
    Blitzamirin / Blitz
    I play Standard RBY, where no tradebacks exist. I have always hated tradebacks, such as Zam with the punches and Raichu with Surf to kill Rhydon/Golem.

But, I can't stop it. When RBY Cartridge is released, then I can play my own way.
  8. Meteor64

Meteor64 TM1337 Falcon Punch

Indeed. It's like saying Adv 200 is the only true metagame of 3rd gen- which is quite simply a load of tosh. If it can legitimately appear in RBY I see no reason not to implement it (with the exception of Missingno. of course)
  9. Isa

Isa RBY guy

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    This is why. Tradebacks can be used, but it's a separate metagame, and it's not as popular. It can be implemented if you want, but don't expect to play as many "old-school" (referring to everyone who plays on NetBattle Supremacy) players with it.
  10. Weavile

Weavile Bang Bang Bang Super Moderator

Seriously so many really old threads gettin' bumped recently. I mean this forum's pretty dead but still.
    I' implement trade backs.
  11. Isa

Isa RBY guy

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    Two-fold question:

Is this going to happen, and if so, when?
  12. Xinc

Xinc Hideyoshi the Falcon

Wouldn't it be a good idea to include it separately, like dream world tiers?
  13. Xdevo

Xdevo Power comes from within Forum Moderator

RBY/Stadium don't have near the playerbase to hold a tradeback tier.
  14. Xinc

Not YET, you mean. Just give it some time xdevo.
  15. Isa

Isa RBY guy

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    Ignoring Xdevo because he thinks that all tiers that aren't RBY OU should be removed;

Yes, that's what I want as well. To be honest, I'd rather they didn't implement tradebacks at all than if they were to force it into the same tier.

Also curious in general if the mods read these parts of the forum; Lutra's request for a ban on Evasion moves have gone unnoticed. Is there even someone working on cartridge RBY at this point in time?
  16. Xdevo

Please name the last time you've seen a new tier made in a past generation ever grow in usage or hell even get usage at all.
    Adding YET ANOTHER tier to an already crowded and dead generation isn't going to do anything.
  17. Isa

Isa RBY guy

PO Trainer Name:
    Isa
    As said - RBY2K10 is waiting for the cartridge mechanics, as is the RBY Smogon players.
  18. Xinc

Please refrain from ninja'ing me. :P
  19. Xdevo

Those people who are only waiting for normal RBY mechanics aren't going to play a tier based off of tradebacks, just like they didn't/aren't playing Stadium.
  20. Jørgen

Jørgen Sniper

Why, exactly, shouldn't tradebacks be implemented? I mean, what's honestly the harm? It's not like Tradebacks is some random metagame concocted by four highschoolers who are its exclusive players; it's actually something of an "official" tier, and is probably similarly if not more worthwhile to implement than the existing Stadium mechanics.
  21. pokemon0078

pokemon0078 Skills

I generally say if it is possible in the game, it should be possible in a simulator.