Most Up To Date Pokémon Simulator

Pokémon Online is the most popular, accurate, and complete Pokémon battle simulator out there. Open source, it's currently available in 11 languages, on your computer or your Android device. It hosts more than a million battles per month. Download the latest version and enjoy competitive battles across all six generations in real time against trainers from around the world!

Download
v 2.4.1

Tutorial on how to run a server (Windows)

Discussion in 'Help' started by Steve, Apr 22, 2010.

1. Steve

Steve Administrator Administrator

This is basically an edit of my "How to run a NetBattle Server" tutorial.

Guide on how to run a Pokemon Online Server.
    By Steve.

Getting the Server Application.

The latest version can always be downloaded from http://pokemon-online.eu/downloads/Server_18.html
    Scroll down towards the bottom of the page, and there is a download button under the title "Server". Click it and proceed to download the server application.

How to start up your server.

After downloading the file, open it with WinRAR (you may need to download this. Look on Google for it). Then extract the 'pokeymon-server' folder to a location of your choice.
    Then open the extracted 'pokeymon-server' folder. Inside it will be an application called 'Server.exe'. Double click it to run the Server Application.

[​IMG]

This will bring up a server window which will allow people to connect to port 5080 (default), if the port is open. The port can be changed in the server's configuration options.
    So your server is able to connect to the registry, you must set a server name. This can be done in the server's configuration options. The screenshot below shows the configuration window. (Outdated screenshot - will update soon.)

[​IMG]

After you have done that, test that the server works. Open up the Pokemon Online Client, click "Go Online", then double click on your servers name.
    If you can connect to it fine, get a friend to test it out and see if they can connect. If you or your friend can't connect, something is blocking connections to the server's port (default 5080).
    To unblock this port, go into your modem/router's configuration page and forward it to your local I.P address. You can find your local I.P address by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. Beside I.P Address will be your local I.P address.
    To open command prompt, click "Start", then "Run", then type in cmd. If you need help on forwarding your port, you can find a guide for your router here: http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/routerindex.htm. Select your router from that list then click on any of those programs. Instead of using the port number they tell you to, use the server port number you set (default 5080).

[​IMG]

If you or your friend still can't connect to the server, it could be that a firewall is blocking the connection. Firstly, try disabling all your firewalls, including Windows Firewall. If you and your friend can connect after this, you know what the problem is. Enable your firewall again and configure it to allow the server application to accept connections on port 5080 (or the port number you selected). You can find help on disabling and enabling firewalls by searching on Google. You should also be able to find out how to configure your firewall by doing a search on Google, too.
    There may be other reasons why you can't connect to your server. If other people can connect, and you can't, it's because of a certain router setting (which usually can't be changed). In this case, advance connect to 127.0.0.1. Also, you will be unable to host a server if you're using a mobile internet connection. You probably won't be able to run it from a school/college connection, either.

How to configure your server.

You can get to your server's configuration options by clicking on "Options" on the menu bar across the top of the server window.

[​IMG]

From here you can check the user list (which allows you to change user's authority and other options), change anti-DoS settings, change the main configuration, insert scripts, and set the server's tiers.

Scripting.

Scripting in a server is basically adding extra features to it. You can add games, battle commands, and other stuff by scripting.
    To open the script window, click "Options" on the menu bar across the top of the server window, then "Scripts". This will open the script window where you will put your code.
    If you would like to learn how to script, read this page on scripting: http://pokemon-online.eu/none/Scripts_21.html
    If you can't be bothered to learn scripting, you could ask someone who already knows how to script to do it for you. Or you could just use scripts that have been posted on the scripting page, or forum. You can download scripts, request scripts, and get assistance scripting here: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/forumdisplay.php?13-Scripts

Getting Help.

If you need any more help, you can ask here by making a topic: http://pokemon-online.eu/forums/forumdisplay.php?12-General-Talk

In the future, I'll write a tutorial on running a server on Linux without a GUI.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2010
  2. coyotte508

coyotte508 Administrator Administrator

Nice one Steve :)
  3. Tigas

Tigas New Member

Thanks alot, this will come in handy.
  4. Darkon

Darkon New Member

"To unblock this port, go into your modem/router's configuration page and forward it to your local I.P address. You can find your local I.P address by opening command prompt and typing ipconfig /all. Beside I.P Address will be your local I.P address.
    To open command prompt, click "Start", then "Run", then type in cmd. If you need help on forwarding your port, you can find a guide for your router here: http://www.portforward.com/english/r...outerindex.htm. Select your router from that list then click on any of those programs. Instead of using the port number they tell you to, use the server port number you set (default 5080)."
    Can you explain it better?

I use a wireless internet.
    I can open a server.
    But i can't connect to the server, nobody can connect to the server, something is blocking the connection...
  5. Steve

Wireless internet? Do you actually have a router of your OWN to connect to?

If you don't, you're out of luck.
  6. Darkon

Darkon New Member

I have an antenna that makes me 24hrs connected with the antenna's main owner of the internet.

But how i can know if is my wireless internet that is blocking the server from connections?
  7. Steve

Ah okay. You won't be able to run a server then. You could try talking to the 'main owner' of the connection. Maybe they'll do the port forwarding for you. But I doubt it.
  8. Darkon

Darkon New Member

But i not have a way to see if this is the real problem?
  9. en soph

en soph New Member

any chance for a linux CLI release? it'd be awesome to run the server on a VPS - something I can't do with shoddy either because it needs a GUI...
  10. coyotte508

Not for a while. Eventually it might be added.
  11. en soph

en soph New Member

yep - I don't think it would be very difficult, it should start then run into the background, logging things into specific files etc... a bit like apache or mysql etc. but I'm not a programmer so I don't know how difficult it would be.

thanks for the answer anyway!
  12. Steve

You know - if you really want to run it, you could just install a GUI on your VPS and VNC it.
  13. en soph

en soph New Member

a GUI "wastes" space and RAM, which are key factors with smaller VPS (under 512M of RAM) like mine, especially if they're already housing a LAMP server, and it's not really needed since everything could be done via .conf files anyway. I will just wait, no problem :)
  14. Darkon

Darkon New Member

15. Steve

I'm not sure what you're asking. But no, don't download that. There is a link at the top called "Click here to skip this advertisement...", click that.
  16. Darkon

Darkon New Member

Ok i have done it but he shows a list of programs with ports and guides, but we simulator is not there. They have Pokemon Netbattle, but not Pokemon Online or Pokemon Battle Simulator.

What i will do?

Oh man i need a new english school -.-
  17. coyotte508

Do the guide with 5080 instead of 30000 (or another port if you've changed the port in the settings)
  18. Darkon

Darkon New Member

Ok we tried that, but we don't can got a STATIC IP, he net downs when we try that.

What we can do now?

This problem is not with me, so i think that it have more than one solutions, right?
  19. Steve

Check to see if there is an option to set a static I.P though the router, instead of through Windows.

Also, you don't exactly need a static LAN I.P, unless you turn your computer off a lot. If you do, you'll have to go back and do the port forwarding process every time you restart.
  20. Darkon

Darkon New Member

The port is blocked always =/

Can you, please, create a mini tutorial to this problem? You not will help only me, but a lot of brazilians players, we wanna create a server but 2 testers get the same error.
  21. Steve

I only have 3 routers, 2 are NetGear and 1 Cisco. I would only be able to create a tutorial for them. I've never used a DSL500B router before.
  22. Darkon

Darkon New Member

Yes, what i'm saying is to you say the basic for we fix this problem with ports.

You know, in a language that every people can understand, for people that not know much about that.
  23. Steve

Yeah, thing is, it's different for every router.

To be honest, I think a 10 year old could easily follow that tutorial.
    Don't get me wrong: I'm not calling you an idiot. Of course, maybe with your router and firewall(s) it might be more difficult to set up. But for a normal Windows Firewall and router, most people wouldn't have any problems following this.

I apologize that I can't be of more help, but for me to help you further, I'd actually have to be sitting at your computer.
  24. Akusu

Akusu Guest

Unfortunately for you, this is the kind of thing that has nothing to do with Pokemon Online, and you'd have to have more general networking knowledge to be able to troubleshoot it.
  25. Darkon

Darkon New Member

Well, it's ok. We followed the tutorial, but we can't open the ports, probably because we need a static IP. No problem Steve, i will continue trying here, one hour i will got a solution ^^
  26. GAK

GAK New Member

"Error while connected to server -- Received error n°0: Connection refused"

That's the message I get when I try to go onto my server after I set up my server just as this tutorial says. What am I doing wrong? Server Name: UPT Server.
  27. SAM 990

SAM 990 New Member

28. Blink

Blink New Member

Hi :D Well I have a problem when I try to run Server.exe, it says I don't have zip.dll in my computer. Do you know how can I solve this? I tried to download the file, but then it said I needed another .dll... well then I downloaded it, it asked me for like 5 .dll more and then it finally said I had a problem with my zip.dll xD
  29. coyotte508

30. GAK

GAK New Member

Can I get some help please?
  31. coyotte508

What if you try connect with IP 127.0.0.1?

And can other users connect to your server?
  32. Zenith

Zenith New Member

Okay, so I had a server a little while back, and recently a friend convinced me to make the official server for another forum. I got rid of the old server (I wasn't sure if it would interfere, and I wasn't using it anyway) and got the new server binaries. The server can connect to the registry, and the registry acknowledges the server, but when anyone tries to connect (including myself) it doesn't work and eventually one just gets the error "Error while connected to server -- Received error n°7: Connection timed out".

I am not terribly computer savvy (when it comes to anything) so this is probably a stupid mistake. I figured I would ask anyway.
  33. Steve

Firewall/router issue probably. Do all the steps in the first post, even if you've done them before. Delete any old Pokemon Online rules from your router.
  34. Zenith

Zenith New Member

Okay, it was a problem with the firewall. Thank you very much.
  35. Master Nick

Master Nick New Member

Thanks for the great tutorial. Just one question though. My server is created (Master Server) and i dont know how to get the Master Ball by my name. I can only get Ultra Ball. I cannot go higher than administrator. how do i get the Master Ball rank owner or whatever its called.
  36. coyotte508

Master Ball rank is a hidden rank ^^
  37. Shadowz

Shadowz New Member

how do you find your modem/router's configuration page ?
  38. Crystal Moogle

Crystal Moogle Kiss and Love! Administrator

39. rougestellar

rougestellar New Member

I can't open my port 5080..
    The port checker says it's unreachable.. :D
    Can you teach me how?
    I'm using gigaset se260 seimens...
  40. supermoose

supermoose New Member

I cannot find Pokemon Online on the PFConfig. Can anyone please help?!